Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Roland Berger <ro...@aloba.ch> on 2003/10/01 10:46:57 UTC

AW: Maven book and user input

It is only fair that contributors and commiters can get a pay back for the
great work they do in their free time. Is it by writting a book or by
providing some consulting work.
When I use open source software I usually buy the book when it is written by
one of the contributors or commiters. And one of the reasons I buy them is
to honor the work they have done. 30U$ really is not much.

> You should go over to Prentice Hall, they are very open to publishing
> free e copies.

If you go over to Manning Publications they usually offer an electronic
version to a lower price bevor the hard copy is available. Also they submit
some of the core chapters for public review to www.theserverside.com like
they do currently for "JSF in Action"
(http://www.theserverside.com/resources/JSFInActionReview.jsp). Since it
will take a long time to finish the book it would be great to make some
chapters available for the public to review bevor it is finished.

Cheers
Roland

Re: AW: Maven book and user input

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 04:46, Roland Berger wrote:
> It is only fair that contributors and commiters can get a pay back for the
> great work they do in their free time. Is it by writting a book or by
> providing some consulting work.

Right, I see writing the book as pleasurable experience. It will
certainly be hard work but I think it will be enjoyable. And it's
certainly for the recognition that I write the book, I can't speak for
Bob. It's not going to be a money making endeavour and we're not writing
it to make money. I also have enough work to keep me busy 'til the end
of time (or longer) so I doubt I'll be doing much other work as a result
of the book. To me I hope for the book to be a labour of love.

> When I use open source software I usually buy the book when it is written by
> one of the contributors or commiters. And one of the reasons I buy them is
> to honor the work they have done. 30U$ really is not much.

And it just supports OSS in general which I personally think is always
good. Which is why I am happy O'Reilly is involved. They are staunch
supporters of OSS and realize what most of us are like and are adept at
working with my kind i.e. very difficult to work with most likely :-)

> > You should go over to Prentice Hall, they are very open to publishing
> > free e copies.
>
> If you go over to Manning Publications they usually offer an electronic
> version to a lower price bevor the hard copy is available. Also they submit
> some of the core chapters for public review to www.theserverside.com like
> they do currently for "JSF in Action"
> (http://www.theserverside.com/resources/JSFInActionReview.jsp). Since it
> will take a long time to finish the book it would be great to make some
> chapters available for the public to review bevor it is finished.

I'm hoping to at least get some chapters out for viewing but I don't
know what will be possible yet insofar as electronic pre-releases. I
would like to because it will only make the book better and think it
would actually help to sell more hard copies.

With Thinking in Java I bought the hard copy not only because it was an
excellent primer but I respected the fact that the author made the book
available in electronic form for people who might not have 40 bucks to
spend on a book, or people who would rather not chew up a tree and for
that reason I bought the book.

> Cheers
> Roland

jvz.