Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2019/08/27 06:28:53 UTC

Some considerations regarding Votes

Hi all,

I’m pretty new to the list and just stumbled about the ongoing vote(s) and I would like to share some of my experiences / best practices with you.

@Anatole Tresch<ma...@gmail.com>: As you are the release manager (RM) please don’t see this as critics. As podling you are in the process of learning and I simply want to try to help you with my experiences.

So, things that I recognized:

# Artefacts are stagend in nexus and NOT in svn
This is probably the only “severe” issue. Artefacts have to be staged in the svn repository together with the KEYS file (which contains the key of the RM who signed the releases). You usually also stage them on nexus (to do a mvn release later on) but that’s only a site note.
This is something which should be done ASAP as the Incubator would likely not agree on a RC who is not staged in svn.
If you have questions regarding that, I can of course help you with that.

# RCs
Usually we number the Votes we do as release candidates (rc) and also keep this naming structure in the svn.
So instead of calling it Vote 1 or 2 or 3 I would simply call it RC1 / RC2 / RC2 (and usually ‘old’ RCs are left in svn unitl the release is done).

# RESULT VOTE
When a vote is finished (either cancelled or sucesfull) the person who started the vote sends a mail with subject ‘[RESULT][VOTE] Name of the Vote’ to the list with a short summary of the Vote. This helps everybody to keep in track of how votes resulted.

# DISCUSS
A very minor thing is that one often times starts a [DISCUSS] Thread parallel to a [VOTE] thread where discussions go. This helps to keep the vote thread cleaner which becomes more and more important when your community grows (hopefully soon :-) ).

Again, please don’t see this as negative critics but rather as some pointers to show you where you can or should improve.
The only thing which should be updated ASAP is Artefacts should be staged in svn, everything else is “minor”.

If there are any questions or comments feel free and I’ll try to answer them accordingly!

Julian

Re: Some considerations regarding Votes

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I agree. I already on the way adding it to SVN ;-)