Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/09 17:40:19 UTC

[meta] What's been going on with log4net, log4cxx, and chainsaw? Request for reports

Over the past year or two, I've been working to include more details
in our quarterly board report about what's been going on in the
community and development. As I'm mostly active in Log4j and some
adjacent code, I'm not always very informed about the development
details in log4net, log4cxx, and chainsaw. While I do try to review
the PRs, emails, and Jira issues that had activity during each
quarter, as I'm not deep in the weeds of those subprojects, I haven't
been able to do them justice in our past reports, especially as these
subprojects experienced new bursts of activity.

Past board reports from this PMC are at [1] which dates back to the
founding of the project. Interestingly enough, this lack of detailed
reporting for non-log4j subprojects here has been a theme since
forever. I'd love to improve on this by emulating what the Apache
Incubator does by having our subprojects individually report summaries
of their past quarter to the PMC. Then we can report and publish
richer and more detailed summaries of what's going on.

We have a board report due this week, so I don't really expect that we
can fully bootstrap this idea for that one. Our next board report will
be due in early May 2021, so subproject summaries should be assembled
by the end of April 2021. Would anyone like to volunteer to shepherd
or write up summaries for any particular subproject here? We
particularly need people to help report on the projects mentioned in
the subject.

[1]: https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Logging_Services.html

Re: [meta] What's been going on with log4net, log4cxx, and chainsaw? Request for reports

Posted by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com>.
Some quick notes on the log4cxx side:

* Build automation via Github actions makes it easy to test
cross-platform(Windows/OSX/Linux)
* Website documentation is in the processes of being updated to be more
thorough
* Website build procedure and general release procedure is now much more
streamlined to make it easier to do releases
* I have a prototype of using updated standard C++ libraries(C++11 and
better), but that hasn't been merged in yet

-Robert Middleton

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the updates, everyone!

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.