Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/08 15:38:54 UTC

My Outgoing Email is Flagged as ***SPAM***?

For some reason when I send my self and email from my personal Postfix
mail server and add an attachment and or a URL hyperlink, it gets
flagged as ***SPAM*** from my email server. The headers are tagged
***SPAM*** from my Postfix mail server running Spamassassin and then
when I receive the message at my Gmail account. It looks like my mail
server didn't like something.

Here is the mail I get at my gmail when sent from my personal email server:

Spam detection software, running on the system "mail.iamghost.com", has
root@localhost for details.

Content preview:  http://www.amazon.com....[snip]
  [...]

 pts rule name              description
-1.4 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
 3.3 TVD_RCVD_IP4           TVD_RCVD_IP4
 1.6 TVD_RCVD_IP            TVD_RCVD_IP
 3.4 FH_DATE_PAST_20XX      The date is grossly in the future.
 2.9 TVD_SPACE_RATIO        BODY: TVD_SPACE_RATIO
-2.7 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

Posted by Egberto Monteiro <se...@futuro.usp.br>.
sa-update

--
Esta mensagem, incluindo seus anexos, podem conter informacoes privilegiadas e/ou de carater confidencial, nao e permitida a retransmissao da mesma sem autorizacao do remetente.
Se voce nao e o destinatario ou pessoa autorizada a recebe-la, informamos que o seu uso, divulgacao, copia ou arquivamento sao proibidos.

Re: My Outgoing Email is Flagged as ***SPAM***?

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.
* Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com>:
>  3.4 FH_DATE_PAST_20XX      The date is grossly in the future.
Did you update using saupdate?

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
  Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
  Campus Benjamin Franklin
  Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
  Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
  ralf.hildebrandt@charite.de | http://www.charite.de

Re: My Outgoing Email is Flagged as ***SPAM***?

Posted by Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thank you everyone for all your assistance. This is resolved.

-Carlos

Re: My Outgoing Email is Flagged as ***SPAM***?

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bo...@buc.com> wrote:
>
>> sa-update-keys should default to the same location as your local.cf
>> file.  On my system, that is /etc/mail/spamassassin.  Create the
>> directory and try the import again.
>>

> I created the directory from scratch using the 'mkdir' command and it
> appears to have successfully ran. I just get this error:
>
> [root@mail spamassassin]# sa-update
> gpg: WARNING: unsafe permissions on homedir
> `/etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-update-keys'
>
> Does this need to be owned by any specific user:group and does anyone
> know the permissions on this folder?

The permissions should be 700 (i.e. only readable by the owner).  The
owner should probably be root (assuming that you will be running
sa-update as root).

# chown -R root sa-update-keys
# chmod 700 sa-update-keys

>> The import operation is not writing rules and updates, it is writing key
>> information.  When you run the normal 'sa-update' command, it will write
>> the rules under the /var/lib/spamassassin/3.00X.00X directory.
>>

> I can now see:
>
> [root@mail 3.002005]# pwd
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002005
> [root@mail 3.002005]# ls -la
> total 16
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root  root  4096 Feb  8 12:39 .
> drwx------ 4 spamd spamd 4096 Feb  8 12:39 ..
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root  root  4096 Feb  8 12:39 updates_spamassassin_org
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root  root  2431 Feb  8 12:39 updates_spamassassin_org.cf
>
> I am guessing that is all working and I shouldn't have to do much else, correct?

That looks correct.  You will find the rule files themselves under the
updates_spamassassin_org directory.  Make sure you restart spamd to
reload the rules after you run sa-update.

--
Bowie

Re: My Outgoing Email is Flagged as ***SPAM***?

Posted by Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.

Posted by Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.

Posted by Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Mike Cardwell
> <sp...@lists.grepular.com> wrote:
>
>> The error message, "gpg required but not found," means that gpg was
>> required, but was not found. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest
>> that maybe gpg wasn't found, but is required, and that you should install
>> it?
>>

> As you guessed I figured this much with the help of Google. I search
> over and over how do I install the GPG key on my system and the Wiki
> really does not give clueless people like myself any reference as to
> how I can import the following key:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/spamassassin/KEYS
>
> I saved that key into a file and read the man page for sa-update
> trying to import it and all attempts failed:
>
> sa-update --gpgkey /sa_gpg.key
> error: gpg required but not found!
>
> [root@mail spamassassin]# sa-update --gpghomedir /sa_gpg.key
> error: gpg required but not found!
>
> I am guessing I am again missing something here which is placing your
> palm to face but I really would appreciate any assistance in how to
> correct this error? If it's explain to me on the SA Wiki, then I am
> missing it because I read through it pretty good.

Sounds to me like you need to install the actual gpg package.
Installing the keys doesn't do much if the program that uses them
doesn't exist.

Tell us which distro you are using and someone should be able to point
you to the proper installation instructions.

--
Bowie

Re: My Outgoing Email is Flagged as ***SPAM***?

Posted by Burnie <bu...@dod.no>.
Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com> came out of the corner and wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Mike Cardwell
> <sp...@lists.grepular.com> wrote:
> > The error message, "gpg required but not found," means that gpg was
> > required, but was not found. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest
> > that maybe gpg wasn't found, but is required, and that you should install
> > it?
>
> As you guessed I figured this much with the help of Google. I search
> over and over how do I install the GPG key

But you probably missed the point.
Mike didn't say install the gpg key.
He suggested to install gpg.

http://gnupg.org/

--
Bernt  'Burnie'  Pettersen  ///  DoD#2345
<E-...@dod.no>     ///  <URL:http://burnie.sh/>

Re: My Outgoing Email is Flagged as ***SPAM***?

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 15:07, Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Mike Cardwell
> <sp...@lists.grepular.com> wrote:
>> The error message, "gpg required but not found," means that gpg was
>> required, but was not found. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest
>> that maybe gpg wasn't found, but is required, and that you should install
>> it?
>
> As you guessed I figured this much with the help of Google. I search
> over and over how do I install the GPG key on my system and the Wiki
> really does not give clueless people like myself any reference as to
> how I can import the following key:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/spamassassin/KEYS
>
> I saved that key into a file and read the man page for sa-update
> trying to import it and all attempts failed:
>
> sa-update --gpgkey /sa_gpg.key
> error: gpg required but not found!

Take another look at the man page:

         --import file           Import GPG key(s) from file into sa-update's
                                 keyring. Use multiple times for multiple files

[...]

       --import
           Use to import GPG key(s) from a file into the sa-update
keyring which is located in the
           directory specified by --gpghomedir.  Before using channels
from third party sources,
           you should use this option to import the GPG key(s) used by
those channels.  You must
           still use the --gpgkey or --gpgkeyfile options above to get
sa-update to trust imported
           keys.

           To import multiple keys, use the option multiple times.  i.e.:

                   sa-update --import channel1-GPG.KEY --import channel2-GPG.KEY

           Note: use of this option automatically enables GPG verification.

--j.

Posted by Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Cardwell <sp...@lists.grepular.com>.
On 08/02/2010 14:48, Carlos Williams wrote:

>>>   3.4 FH_DATE_PAST_20XX      The date is grossly in the future.
>>
>> Looks like someone has not applied the Jan 2010 patch
>
> Yes - guilty as charged. Sorry all for my ignorance. I can sadly say I
> have never ran 'sa-update' but when I tried, I got this error:
>
> [root@mail /]# pacman -Q spamassassin
> spamassassin 3.2.5-2
>
> [root@mail ~]# cd /var/lib/spamassassin/
>
> [root@mail spamassassin]# sa-update
> error: gpg required but not found!

The error message, "gpg required but not found," means that gpg was
required, but was not found. I'm going to go out on a limb here and
suggest that maybe gpg wasn't found, but is required, and that you
should install it?

--
Mike Cardwell    : UK based IT Consultant, Perl developer, Linux admin
Cardwell IT Ltd. : UK Company - http://cardwellit.com/       #06920226

Re: My Outgoing Email is Flagged as ***SPAM***?

Posted by Carlos Williams <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John ffitch <jp...@codemist.co.uk>.
>  3.4 FH_DATE_PAST_20XX      The date is grossly in the future.

Looks like someone has not applied the Jan 2010 patch
==John ff