Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Adam Martin <Ad...@infor.com> on 2008/04/30 20:17:09 UTC

[users@httpd] High availability concept question

If I load balance between two 2.2 Apache HTTP Servers on two separate
physical servers, what type of device or software can I place in front
of the web servers to allow users to access either web server via one IP
Address?  I did a quick search in the documentation but wasn't sure what
to look for.  Would it be as simple as pointing the users to a router
configured with some type of forwarding?  How do I prevent this device
from becoming a single point of failure?  I know these questions are not
Apache specific, at least I don't think they, but after being a member
of this list for a couple of months and seeing the level of expertise on
this board I figured someone could point me in the right direction.  I
am not asking for a how-to response, just concepts on where to start to
start looking or which documentation I should look at.  Thanks.

RE: [users@httpd] High availability concept question

Posted by Adam Martin <Ad...@infor.com>.
Guy and Jet, thank you for taking the time to respond.  I appreciate it.

> If I load balance between two 2.2 Apache HTTP Servers on two separate
> physical servers, what type of device or software can I place in front

> of the web servers to allow users to access either web server via one
IP
> Address?  I did a quick search in the documentation but wasn't sure
what
> to look for.  Would it be as simple as pointing the users to a router
> configured with some type of forwarding?  How do I prevent this device

> from becoming a single point of failure?  I know these questions are
not
> Apache specific, at least I don't think they, but after being a member

> of this list for a couple of months and seeing the level of expertise
on
> this board I figured someone could point me in the right direction.  I

> am not asking for a how-to response, just concepts on where to start
> start looking or which documentation I should look at.  Thanks.

One (open source) solution would be to use an LVS load balancing server
(http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org) to do the load balancing. If you
want high availability (no single point of failure in the load balancer)

couple LVS with heartbeat (http://www.linux-ha.org), so that if your
active load balancer fails, the inactive load balancer takes over.

There is a learning curve with both those technologies, so if you don't
have much time (or even if you do), it might be worth a visit to
http://www.ultramonkey.org, Simon Horman's project site, in which he
supplies prebuilt packages to combine LVS and heartbeat together.

Re: [users@httpd] High availability concept question

Posted by Guy Waugh <gw...@scu.edu.au>.

Posted by "Wilda, Jet" <Je...@ChasePaymentech.com>.
We use F5 BIG-IP LTM
http://www.f5.com/products/big-ip/product-modules/local-traffic-manager.
html though there are many options including the open source pound
http://www.apsis.ch/pound/.

Enjoy,

~Jet

________________________________

If I load balance between two 2.2 Apache HTTP Servers on two separate
physical servers, what type of device or software can I place in front
of the web servers to allow users to access either web server via one IP
Address?  I did a quick search in the documentation but wasn't sure what
to look for.  Would it be as simple as pointing the users to a router
configured with some type of forwarding?  How do I prevent this device
from becoming a single point of failure?  I know these questions are not
Apache specific, at least I don't think they, but after being a member
of this list for a couple of months and seeing the level of expertise on
this board I figured someone could point me in the right direction.  I
am not asking for a how-to response, just concepts on where to start to
start looking or which documentation I should look at.  Thanks.

Learn more about Chase Paymentech Solutions,LLC payment processing services at www.chasepaymentech.com.

THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not print, distribute, or copy this message or any attachments.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer.