Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by stephenh <st...@exigencecorp.com> on 2009/09/24 21:56:12 UTC

defaultconf and defaultconfmapping

Hi,

Just posting a thought...I expected defaultconf and defaultconfmapping to be
usable together.

E.g. if I did:

<dependencies defaultconfmapping="A->a;B->b" defaultconf="A">

I could list a dependency without a conf on it:

<dependency org="foo" name="bar" rev="1" />

And, without a conf on the dependency, defaultconf would kick in and say A,
then have the mapping applied, so I'd end up with the foo.bar dependency's
implied conf being A->a.

As it is now, if I leave off the dependency conf, I'm getting an implied
conf of A->a;B->b.

I'd like to be able to give a default mapping for B, but not have it applied
to dependencies unless I explicitly reference it, e.g.:

<dependency org="foo" name="onlyforb" rev="1" conf="B">

Then the implied conf would be B->b.

Perhaps there are reasons it cannot work that way, but I thought I'd just
throw out that that is what seems intuitive to me. For now I can just put up
with providing an explicit conf="A" on all of my non-B dependencies to keep
them from leaking into the B configuration.

Thanks,
Stephen

RE: defaultconf and defaultconfmapping

Posted by "Glidden, Douglass A" <Do...@boeing.com>.
I agree that this is what seems intuitive-I assumed this was the way it would work when I started using this feature a few weeks ago, until I found that things were behaving strangely and I read the docs more thoroughly.  As it now stands, defaultconf is completely ignored if defaultconfmapping is defined, but I would rather have the behavior you describe.

Doug Glidden
Software Engineer
The Boeing Company
Douglass.A.Glidden@boeing.com