Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Adrian Szuszkiewicz <ad...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/07 15:47:56 UTC

Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Hi all :)

Introduction

My name is Adrian and together with Piotr I am preparing a set of video
tutorials about Moonshine IDE, Royale and ActionScript. I am completely new
to this technology stack and a few days ago I was reading Royale Docs for
the first time. There were a couple of things I found confusing about the
structure of the documentation. I believe that with a few minor changes to
the docs we can achieve more clarity. If the Team agrees I volunteer to do
the changes. Here’s what I propose:

Merging Getting Started

There are two pages with awfully similar titles and responsibilities:

   -

   Getting Started [https://royale.apache.org/getting-started/] reachable
   from "Get Started" button on main Royale page
   -

   Get started with Royale [
   https://apache.github.io/royale-docs/Get%20Started.html] reachable from
   "Get Started" item in doc’s table of content.

In my opinion, the existence of two Get Started pages is very confusing. If
you agree I’d like to:

   1.

   Move all the content of Getting Started page to Get started with Royale in
   the docs
   2.

   Make Get Started button on main Royale page point to Get started with
   Royale in the docs.

Renaming Links with Instructions

On "Getting Started" page there are four links with instructions about how
to install and configure Royale in different editors. When I was reading
the docs for the first time I skipped those links because I thought they
only point to download locations, not the instructions. I’d like to rename
them as follows:

   -

   “Moonshine IDE” -> “Instructions for Moonshine IDE”
   -

   “Visual Studio Code” -> “Instructions for Visual Studio Code”
   -

   “Adobe Flash Builder” -> “Instructions for Adobe Flash Builder”
   -

   “IntelliJ IDEA” -> “Instructions for IntelliJ IDEA” [this link is empty
   but I’d keep it anyway]

Changing Menu Behavior

The Table of Content menu on the right side in the docs behaves in a weird
way. When you click on an item it doesn't automatically expand. But when
you select your topic from the main text then it expands correctly showing
all its children. At first, I thought the menu was incomplete and
disjointed but then I realized it just doesn’t expand at right times. It
made me feel a little bit lost in the docs and track my journey through
them in the notepad. If you agree I’d like to fix expanding behavior.

It's easier to conceptualize this in a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHzDnH8h6gE&feature=youtu.be

Have a great day,

Adrian

Re: Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

In ASDoc application we have similar header as it is in main website page
(Features, Get Started). Get Started has currently wrong link - how this
header is being generated ? It is not part of that Application as I see ?

Thanks,
Piotr

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Ok Piotr,

so I think we have all set as you said, and we just need to worry about the
content created to follow that guidelines

:)

El vie., 17 may. 2019 a las 10:07, Piotr Zarzycki (<
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com>) escribió:

> In my opinion it depends where you are clicking on Get Started. If you are
> clicking on Get Started on main page (main menu or footer) you should stay
> in the same window. I think it should be true for whatever option in main
> menu you are clicking.
>
> However if you are in Docs already and click on "Apache Royale
> Documentation
> <https://apache.github.io/royale-docs/>" - it would can go to separate
> window where you can easy navigate.
>
> My 2 cents ;)
>

> pt., 17 maj 2019 o 09:59 Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>
> napisał(a):
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > ok, so website navigation happens on the same window and docs in its own
> > window. That's ok for me too.
> >
> > What to do with the case of pages like "Get Started"? The link is in
> > website, but goes to royale docs
> >
> > thanks
> >

> > El jue., 16 may. 2019 a las 20:41, Andrew Wetmore (<cottage14@gmail.com
> >)
> > escribió:
> >
> > > I think "target=_blank" should be for links to location outside of
> Royale
> > > docs. To me, that includes the Royale website. I would want it to open
> > in a
> > > new window rather than taking over the window I am using to read the
> > docs.

> > > should

> refers
> > all
> > > load
> just
> page.
> > > For
> > mailing

> > > carlosrovira@apache.org

> what
> > we

> > site

> > content
> > > of

> > WordPress

> > > --
> > > Andrew Wetmore
> > >
> > > http://cottage14.blogspot.com/
> > >

> > --
> > Carlos Rovira
> > http://about.me/carlosrovira
> >

> --
>
> Piotr Zarzycki

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Piotr,

yes! I changed it, but still is in pre wp site, still didn't push it to
live. Will push in the next hours! :)

El jue., 16 may. 2019 a las 12:15, Piotr Zarzycki (<

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carlos,

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Adrian,

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

One small thing apart of above changes which are in progress. "Get Started"
in the main menu on the website and "Getting Started" in the footer are
pointing us to the same page. Words are different - What do you think to

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Royale Docs Changes Proposal

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.