Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Mike Cochrane <Co...@landcareresearch.co.nz> on 2021/10/05 06:15:44 UTC

Is it possible to secure a core?

Hi

I have a basic instance of SOLR (8.10.0) running on Windows.

I'm using the RuleBasedAuthorizationPlugin for authorization and can't seem to figure out the configuration to allow me to secure a Core (as opposed to a Collection).

In the logs I see the following for a basic request (while authenticated as the nzor_user user)

http://dev-solr-02:8983/solr/config-test/select?indent=true&q.op=OR&q=*%3A*

2021-10-05 05:20:21.801 DEBUG (qtp320304382-18) [   x:config-test] o.a.s.s.RuleBasedAuthorizationPluginBase Attempting to authorize request to [/select] of type: [READ], associated with collections [[]]
2021-10-05 05:20:21.801 DEBUG (qtp320304382-18) [   x:config-test] o.a.s.s.RuleBasedAuthorizationPluginBase Authorizing collection-aware request, checking perms applicable to all (*) collections
2021-10-05 05:20:21.801 TRACE (qtp320304382-18) [   x:config-test] o.a.s.s.RuleBasedAuthorizationPluginBase Following perms are associated with collection

The request does not seem to be associated with a collection so it isn't resolving to the rule that I have set up for the config-test core.

  "authorization":{
    "class":"solr.RuleBasedAuthorizationPlugin",
    "permissions":[
      {
        "name":"permission-biota-read",
        "role":["role-biota-read"],
        "collection":["config-test"],
        "path":["*"],
        "params":{},
        "index":1,
        "method":["GET"]},
      {
        "name":"security-edit",
        "role":"admin",
        "index":2},
      {
        "name":"all",
        "role":["admin"],
        "index":3}],
    "user-role":{
      "solr":"admin",
      "nzor_user":["role-biota-read"]}

I guess after looking at the docs and a bit of Googling everything talks about collections so I'm wondering on a single (non-cloud) instance can I restrict access for users to only read a particular core?

Cheers
Mike

Mike Cochrane
IT SERVICES | INFORMATICS
Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research
www.landcareresearch.co.nz<https://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/>
[cid:image001.png@01D7BA1D.0D76B3E0]

Re: Is it possible to secure a core?

Posted by Thomas Corthals <th...@klascement.net>.
Hello Mike,

Unfortunately rules can only have a collection scope in SolrCloud, not a
core scope in standalone Solr.

I asked about core specific rules recently:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/solr-users/202105.mbox/%3cCABEwPvEzZMF5KKAEkoik7o-uVxiqZi43e-J7thSF0p213Gyg-Q@mail.gmail.com%3e

Thomas