Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Fabian Thorns <ft...@rooTH.DE> on 2003/02/15 22:15:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Namebased VirtualHosts with *.domain.tld ssl-certificates (fwd)

Good evening,

I know that my question seems to be answered in the FAQ but I still have a
question that doesn't seem to be answered there.

I noticed that it is not possible to set up namebased virtual hosts with
ssl because the certificates would be different for every virtual host
but in order to obtain the desired virtual host the certificate is
already needed. I am wondering why it is not possible to use the same
certificate for all virtual hosts underneath domain.tld that run within an
apache since it is possible to create certificates for *.domain.tld. With
such a certificate it should be possible to establish a ssl-connection to
the webserver and then use it for a http-request that include the desired
virtual host.

Is that possible with apache 2.0.44 or is it planed for one of the next
releases? Or is it not possible for some kind of reason? Or am I totally
wrong?

Regards,

Fabian

[users@httpd] cont. need user auth recommendation

Posted by Alex Pilson <al...@flagshipinteractive.com>.
Ok, after some research i think the mod_auth_mysql is what I want to use:

Anyone using this? I am stumped on a few things...

1) does apache have to be recompiled for it to work? Or is there .so
or .c files out there to drop into apache libexec?
2) if so, how? I have never compiled my own apache in OS X.

Thanks.
--
<--------------------------------------------------------------->
     Alex Pilson

[users@httpd] need user auth recommendation

Posted by Alex Pilson <al...@flagshipinteractive.com>.
I have a new x server with 10.2.3 and have set it up with a custom
httpd. One of the dilemmas I have been faced with is how to manage
"realm" users and the directories for many sites. I have been using
.htaccess and.htpasswd, but it seems kind of
out-of-sight-out-of-mind. Is there a better way to manage users and
locations for realms more visually? I have WebMin, can I do that
there? Do I need to use dbmange?

Thanks any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
--
<--------------------------------------------------------------->

RE: [users@httpd] Namebased VirtualHosts with *.domain.tld ssl-certificates (fwd)

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.
I'm also running 4 domain names with the same certificate. It goes by the
server name not the address.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen

Posted by Herb Stein <he...@herbstein.com>.
> I know that my question seems to be answered in the FAQ but I still have a
> question that doesn't seem to be answered there.
>
> I noticed that it is not possible to set up namebased virtual hosts with
> ssl because the certificates would be different for every virtual host
> but in order to obtain the desired virtual host the certificate is
> already needed. I am wondering why it is not possible to use the same
> certificate for all virtual hosts underneath domain.tld that run within an
> apache since it is possible to create certificates for *.domain.tld. With
> such a certificate it should be possible to establish a ssl-connection to
> the webserver and then use it for a http-request that include the desired
> virtual host.

I don't really know if this answers the question or, but I do is have my
own server with ssl. Clients are then
https://myserver/theirserver/whatever.html
If they want to blow $125+ on their own certificate, we can do that.
Nobody has wanted it badly enought to do that yet.

> Is that possible with apache 2.0.44 or is it planed for one of the next
> releases? Or is it not possible for some kind of reason? Or am I totally
> wrong?
>
> Regards,
>
> Fabian

Herb Stein