Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Abhay Ratnaparkhi <ab...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/24 16:20:00 UTC

secondary namenode storage location

 Hello Everyone,

I have specified the secondary namenode is masters file.
Which property is to be used to show a path used to store HDFS data by
secondary node?
What happened if I don't specify that property (or What is the default
location secondary namenode uses)?

Regards,
Abhay

Re: secondary namenode storage location

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.
https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDHDOC/CDH3+Deployment+on+a+Cluster#CDH3DeploymentonaCluster-ConfiguringtheSecondaryNameNode

fs.checkpoint.dir	 /cache/hadoop/dfs

fs.checkpoint.edits.dir	 /cache/hadoop/dfs

-Håvard

--
Håvard Wahl Kongsgård
Faculty of Medicine &

http://havard.security-review.net/

Re: secondary namenode storage location

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

(In addition to what Håvard has posted)

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Abhay Ratnaparkhi
<ab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What happened if I don't specify that property (or What is the default
> location secondary namenode uses)?

If you do not specify an explicit local path, a /tmp-based path is
used (inherited from hadoop.tmp.dir), which is cleared out at reboots
or by tmpwatch (if on a noatime FS), and that can prove dangerous (you
lose backup fsimage copies).

--
Harsh J

Re: secondary namenode storage location