Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by cyang2010 <ys...@hotmail.com> on 2011/01/27 19:09:56 UTC

Is relevance score related to position of the term?

Let me describe the question using an example:

If search "Lee" on name field as exact term match,

returning result can be:

Lee Jamie
Jamie Lee

Will solr grant higher score to "Lee Jamie" vs "Jamie Lee" based on the
position of the term in name field of each document?

>From what i know, the score are related to:
1. term frequency
2. idf (inverse document frequency)
3. length norm
4. query norm

It does not seem to care the position of the match term.  Is it right?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is relevance score related to position of the term?

Posted by Em <ma...@yahoo.de>.
Hi,

no, you missunderstood me, I only said that Solr does not care of the
positions *usually*.

Lucene got SpanNearQuery which considers the position of the Query's terms
relative to eachother.
Furthermore there exists a SpanFirstQuery which boosts occurences of a Term
at the beginning of a special field.

Unfortunately I am unaware whether they are already utilized as a
Solr-Feature or not.

Perhaps you will need to write your own QueryParserPlugin to make usage of
them for your usecase.

However, Plugins like DisMax do not care whether the found Term is at the
beginning of the field or not.
BUT you can specify a slop between terms of phrase-queries for boosting.
Have a look at the Wiki's DisMax-page.

Regards

Posted by cyang2010 <ys...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Em,

Thanks for reply.

Basically you are saying there is no builtin solution that care about the
position of the term to impact the relevancy score.  In my scenario, i will
get those two document with the same score.   The order depends on the
sequence of indexing.

Thanks,

Cyang

Re: Is relevance score related to position of the term?

Posted by Em <ma...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Cyang,

usually Solr isn't looking at the position of a term. However, there are
solutions out there for considering the term's position when calculating a
doc's score.

Furthermore: If two docs got the same score, I think they are ordered the
way they were found in the index.

Does this answer your questions?

Regards