Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Todd VanderVeen <td...@part.net> on 2005/02/09 23:11:45 UTC

Re: Storage Cost of Indexed, Untokenized Fields

Is there an additional storage cost to flagging an untokenized, indexed
field as stored? Is the flag just for indicating that it be returned in
result sets? I assume storage for tokenized fields is managed
separately, but am curious if untokenized fields are resolved from the
native index structure?

Thanks,
Todd VanderVeen

Re: Storage Cost of Indexed, Untokenized Fields

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 9, 2005, at 5:11 PM, Todd VanderVeen wrote:

> Is there an additional storage cost to flagging an untokenized,
> indexed field as stored? Is the flag just for indicating that it be
> returned in result sets? I assume storage for tokenized fields is
> managed separately, but am curious if untokenized fields are resolved
> from the native index structure?

There can be multiple untokenized values per field - you could add
multiple Field.Keyword()'s with the same field name.  Stored field
values are separate from the inverted index.  So yes there is an
additional storage cost.

	Erik