Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com> on 2008/06/10 18:38:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Building Apache, does --prefix gets hardcoded ?

I am trying to create a tar ball with Apache, Tomcat and my application
to be deployed later on a server with the same kernel as the building
machine.

When building Apache HTTP server, there is an option "-prefix" passed to
"configure" script that indicates where will the result of the build end
up.

Does it gets hardcoded into the code? Can I move later the build server
to another directory and just adjust configuration files?

For example, if I build with -prefix=/myproject/build/http, would it be
possible later on to move the location of the HTTP server to another
directory? (E.g. /opt/http)

In other words, do I need to distribute HTTP source code and build it
when I install my application, or can I build it ahead of time and just
configure it at installation time?

Thank you.

-Jorge

Re: [users@httpd] Building Apache, does --prefix gets hardcoded ?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com> wrote:
> I am trying to create a tar ball with Apache, Tomcat and my application to
> be deployed later on a server with the same kernel as the building machine.
>

> When building Apache HTTP server, there is an option "—prefix" passed to
> "configure" script that indicates where will the result of the build end up.
>

> Does it gets hardcoded into the code? Can I move later the build server to
> another directory and just adjust configuration files?
>

> For example, if I build with –prefix=/myproject/build/http, would it be
> possible later on to move the location of the HTTP server to another
> directory? (E.g. /opt/http)
>

> In other words, do I need to distribute HTTP source code and build it when I
> install my application, or can I build it ahead of time and just configure
> it at installation time?

The prefix is hardcoded but can be overridden at runtime using a
combination of command line options (-f in particular) and
configuration file directives. See also the binbuild script in the
build directory of the source tree for other ideas on how to handle
this issue.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Building Apache, does --prefix gets hardcoded ?

Posted by Marcin Lewandowski <ww...@saepia.net>.
Jorge Medina pisze:
> I am trying to create a tar ball with Apache, Tomcat and my application
> to be deployed later on a server with the same kernel as the building
> machine.

Is that so hard to check? Compilation takes only a few minutes + 10s for
test moving.

m.