Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Rich P <te...@hotmail.com> on 2018/09/01 02:35:41 UTC

BCC recipients don't get email in James 3.1.0

When I send an email to an external recipient (outside domain) and BCC: an internal recipient (local domain), the BCC: recipient never receives the email.  Also, if an internal recipient is in the TO: field and an external recipient in the BCC: field, the external recipient gets the email but the internal recipient does not.  I can consistently reproduce this.  For example:

Scenario 1:
TO:  bill@microsoft.com<ma...@microsoft.com>
BCC:  admin@externalcompany.com<ma...@externalcompany.com>
BCC:  colleague@externalcompany.com<ma...@externalcompany.com>

In this case, everyone receives their email as expected.

Scenario 2:
TO:  friend@mylocalhost.com<ma...@mylocalhost.com>
BCC:  admin@mylocalhost.com<ma...@mylocalhost.com>
BCC:  colleague@mylocalhost.com<ma...@mylocalhost.com>

Again, in this case, everyone receives their email as expected.

Scenario 3:
TO:  bill@microsoft.com<ma...@microsoft.com>
BCC:  admin@mylocalhost.com<ma...@mylocalhost.com>
BCC:  colleague@mylocalhost.com<ma...@mylocalhost.com>

In this case, neither admin@mylocalhost.com<ma...@mylocalhost.com> nor colleague@mylocalhost.com<ma...@mylocalhost.com> receive the email.

Scenario 4:
TO:  admin@mylocalhost.com<ma...@mylocalhost.com>
BCC:  admin@externalcompany.com<ma...@externalcompany.com>
BCC:  colleague@externalcompany.com<ma...@externalcompany.com>

In this case, admin@mylocalhost.com<ma...@mylocalhost.com> doesn't receive the email but the external recipients do receive the email!

It appears that as long as the recipients are either all in external domains or all in the same local domain, it works Ok.  But when a BCC: recipient is specified and the other recipients are split across external and internal domains, the local recipients never get the mail regardless of whether they were in the BCC: or TO: fields.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

Thanks,
Rich

Re: BCC recipients don't get email in James 3.1.0

Posted by Rich P <te...@hotmail.com>.
I'm using most of the smtpserver.xml defaults but have the following
changes.

1.  Three servers enabled: one each for ports 25, 465 and 587 and each
one uses its own local JKS keystore.  Here are the changes:

Port 25:
<tls socketTLS="false" startTLS="true">
<helloName autodetect="false">myservername.com</helloName>
<authRequired>announce</authRequired>
Enabled: <authorizedAddresses>127.0.0.0/8</authorizedAddresses>
<verifyIdentity>true</verifyIdentity>
<handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.fastfail.SpamAssassinHandler">
     <spamdHost>127.0.0.1</spamdHost>
     <spamdPort>783</spamdPort>
     <spamdRejectionHits>10</spamdRejectionHits>
</handler>

Port 465:
<tls socketTLS="true" startTLS="false">
<helloName autodetect="false">myservername.com</helloName>
<authRequired>true</authRequired>
<verifyIdentity>true</verifyIdentity>

Port 587:
<tls socketTLS="false" startTLS="true">
<helloName autodetect="false">myservername.com</helloName>
<authRequired>true</authRequired>
<verifyIdentity>true</verifyIdentity>

By the way, some users send out mail on port 465 and other on port 587.
The behavior is the same either way.

I will look at the SMTP traffic further.  It seems like the message is
making it to the server because the smtpserver.log has the entry:
"Successfully spooled mail... for ..." and it lists all of the
recipients including the BCC recipient.

I'm using file-based mail storage and I verified that there is NO mail
in the 'new' folder for the local BCC recipient.

Posted by Raphael OUAZANA <ra...@linagora.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Rich P <te...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Raphaël --

Thanks for your response.  I'm using the default mailetcontainer.xml but made the following changes:

1.  Added this in section <processor state="root" enableJmx="true">:
<mailet match="RecipientIsLocal" class="RecipientToLowerCase"/>

2.  Added this in section <processor state="transport" enableJmx="true">:
<mailet match="SenderIsLocal" class="RemoveMimeHeader">
    <name>Received</name>
</mailet>

3.  Removed this in section <processor state="transport" enableJmx="true">:
<mailet match="SenderIsLocal" class="ToSenderFolder">
    <folder>Sent</folder>
    <consume>false</consume>
</mailet>

4.  Also, I use SMTP authentication so I disabled this:
<mailet match="RemoteAddrNotInNetwork=127.0.0.1" class="ToProcessor">
    <processor>relay-denied</processor>
    <notice>550 - Requested action not taken: relaying denied</notice>
</mailet>

This happens on both James 3.0.1 and 3.1.0 running on Java 1.8.0_181 on CentOS 7.

Posted by Raphael OUAZANA <ra...@linagora.com>.
Hi,