Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de> on 2002/11/11 22:09:40 UTC

Installing: javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init()

I'm trying to install cocoon again on a fresh RedHat 7.3 system, after
having various problems installing in the past. I thought I'd try the
cvs version this time. Here are my installation notes:
http://www.murrayc.com/temp/cocoon_install_notes.txt

I have copied the Xerces/Xalan/XML jars to $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed,
as suggested under "Java 1.4 configuration" here:
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html
However, those instructions seem out of date because the files seem to
have different names now.

When I check the cocoon page at
http://murrayc.blueprint.net:8080/cocoon/
I get this error:
javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet Cocoon2 threw
exception

Any ideas?

--
Murray Cumming
murray@usa.net

Re: Installing: javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init()

Posted by Charles Brewster <ch...@shaw.ca>.
Murray Cumming wrote:

>On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 05:17, Geoff Howard wrote:
>

>>Yes, that was the specific error that people were
>>getting when the older jars distributed with the jdk
>>were not properly overridden.
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103692889710176&w=2
>>

>So do you see anything wrong in those installation notes?
>http://www.murrayc.com/temp/cocoon_install_notes.txt
>Clearly copying the jars has had some effect.

Murray For what its worth I finally pitched the rpms in favor of the Sun
JWSDP package. I could not get soap running for the same  dreaded
error., and spent a week chasing xerces, endorsed libs, etc etc. Within
five minutes of downloading jwsdp_1_0_01 I had a tomcat system running
with soap then cocoon.  I had installed both on NT side with tomcat 4 no
problem. So There is something IMHO in the rpms . Although all my other
apps worked fine.

Re: Installing: javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init()

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@yahoo.com>.
Check that the user tomcat _is running as_ has write
permission to webapps and tomcat/work - but I don't
know who serviceconf makes as the user.  If it's not
the same user that you're logged in as, the chmod you
did didn't help even besides the work dir.

Also, it doesn't look like you did anything to the
tomcat/lib/endorsed  as mentioned in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103121674125637&w=2.

Geoff

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Re: Installing: javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init()

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@yahoo.com>.

http://murrayc.blueprint.net:8080/cocoon/documents/index.html

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Re: Installing: javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init()

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@yahoo.com>.

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2