Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Namit Jain <nj...@fb.com> on 2012/05/25 03:49:31 UTC

non-string partition columns

The patch above broke drop partitions if the partition happens to be non-string.
This is due to a JDO issue with non-string columns.

Is anyone using non-string partition columns ?
Should be force the partition columns to be only of type string ?
The documentation probably does not specify anything clearly.

If someone is dependent on non-string partition column, we need to revert this patch, or make a
special case for string partition columns.

Thanks,
-namit

Re: non-string partition columns

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
FWIW.. HCatalog only allows partition columns of type string precisely
because in backend datastore type information is not recorded. In my
opinion, partition type should be restricted to type string until we fix
this problem, otherwise it gives unexpected behavior to endusers and/or
bug-reps. One possibility is to introduce config variable
hive.partition.column.type and has it value set to "string" by default.
This ensures that new users get expected behavior of string-only partition
columns. Users who already use other types can reset this config value to
"all" in their deployment when they upgrade to newer version of Hive
(assuming new version comes out without a proper fix). This extra step of
reseting default config will help them to understand the risk they are
taking by changing default value.

Thanks,
Ashutosh

Posted by Namit Jain <nj...@fb.com>.