Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by VA <cu...@hotmail.com> on 2012/10/19 01:29:14 UTC

hyphenation with US English

I am new to this list, and I don’t know what has previously been discussed, so please forgive me if I’m redundant.
Since the days of Oracle, I have noticed that OpenOffice with the US English dictionary hyphenates words at the wrong place (Op-enOffice, res-ults, mathem-atics, etc.) I checked the Bugzilla and found a bug reported on the matter (119087), but it is listed as “unconfirmed.”
Have any other US English users noticed this? Is it, in fact, a bug, or is there a fix within the settings of the current program?
I’m using AOO 3.4.1 on a Win7 laptop. I have hyphenation set to keep 2 letters at the end of a line and at least 3 letters at the beginning of the next line. My Extension Manager tells me my English dictionary is dated 2010/03/16. It’s the dictionary that was loaded with the program. I have added nothing else to the standard install.
(For what its worth, the current LibreOffice does not share this behavior. Its US English dictionary hyphenates words at the right places.)
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Virgil

Re: hyphenation with US English

Posted by VA <cu...@hotmail.com>.
Andrea,

Thank you for the good insight. I'll do some digging and see if the new
dictionary I downloaded has a hyph_en_US.dic file.

Virgil

Posted by VA <cu...@hotmail.com>.
I took the files from the English dictionary that I downloaded and copied
them all into my original English subdirectory on my OO installation as well
as my extensions subdirectory. In the process, I overwrote all previous
English files.

Sadly, the program still hyphenates words in the wrong place. When I use the
same dictionary files in LibO, it hyphenates properly.

I don't know what's wrong, but I have enough word processing options
(between LibO, Atlantis, and several LaTeX editors) that spending more time
chasing down OO's hyphenation problem is more bother for me than its worth.

Thanks for all the help. The issue has been reported as a bug on Bugzilla,
so I'll wait for the developers who are smarter than I am to figure it
out...if they're inclined. So far, the Bug has been listed as "unconfirmed"
on Bugzilla and it doesn't seem as if anyone's overly interested in
addressing it.

Virgil

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: hyphenation with US English … ATTN: WEBMASTER!

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
On 10/21/2012 09:50 AM, douglas w soderdahl wrote:
> 10.21.12
>
> I have repeatedly [10x +] clicked on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of these emails, but continue to receive them.
>
> Please UNSUBSCRIBE me to these emailings!
>
> Thank you,
>
> doug soderdahl
>
> Douglas W Soderdahl, MD, FACS
> 411 Hobron Lane, #3808
> Honolulu, HI, USA 96815.1220
> Phone: 808.388.7280
> Eddress: <ds...@mac.com>

     You clicked the unsubscribe link. What happened then? Did a new
email message appear with ooo-users-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org in
the "To" box?
      When you click the link, a new email message should appear. You
should click the Send button. You will receive an email to verify that
you want to unsubscribe. While reading this verification email, click
the Reply button. A new email message appears. Click the Send button.

--Dan

Re: hyphenation with US English … ATTN: WEBMASTER!

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
you should recieve a confirmation of unsubscription which is expected
for you to confirm by replying to it. Otherwise you will remain on the
list.

On 10/21/12, douglas w soderdahl <ds...@me.com> wrote:
> 10.21.12
>
> I have repeatedly [10x +] clicked on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of
> these emails, but continue to receive them.
>
> Please UNSUBSCRIBE me to these emailings!
>
> Thank you,
>
> doug soderdahl
>
> Douglas W Soderdahl, MD, FACS
> 411 Hobron Lane, #3808
> Honolulu, HI, USA 96815.1220
> Phone: 808.388.7280
> Eddress: <ds...@mac.com>
>

> On Oct 21, 2012, at 5:27 AM, Hagar Delest wrote:
>
> Some hints with screenshots here also:
> http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16512
>
> NB: I'm not sure the lock means that you can remove it by the Add/Remove
> control panel (but I may be wrong). It usually means that it has been
> installed for all users at the standard install. To remove it, you need to
> tweak the installation files (have a look at the detailed topic linked in
> the first post of the troubleshooting tutorial).
>
> Hagar
>
> Le 20/10/2012 15:42, johnny smith a écrit :
>
>> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:24:41 -0000, VA <cu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In my Extension Manager, I now have two American English dictionaries
>>> listed. The originally installed English(USA) dictionary is locked and I
>>> can't remove it. It has a lock icon next to it.
>>
>> the lock icon is due to the dictionaty having been installed as a program
>> component rather than an extension. you can delete it through "add/remove
>> programs" tool of your system by choosing "custom" option.
>>
>>> If I click on Languages in my Options menu, there is only one option for
>>> English(USA). I'm not sure which of the two English dictionaries this is
>>> referring to.
>>
>> the "languages" item of the "options" menu is not quite what you need. the
>> list of available language modules is under the "language settings/writing
>> aids" section of the options. the "edit..." button lets you choose a
>> spellchecker and hyphenator for each distinct language.

Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: hyphenation with US English … ATTN: WEBMASTER!

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-10-21 7:50 AM douglas w soderdahl wrote:
> I have repeatedly [10x +] clicked on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of these emails, but continue to receive them.

You have to reply to the confirmation email you receive after sending your unsubscribe request.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: hyphenation with US English … ATTN: WEBMASTER!

Posted by douglas w soderdahl <ds...@me.com>.
10.21.12

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 09:27:24 -0000, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> wrote:

> NB: I'm not sure the lock means that you can remove it by the Add/Remove control panel (but I may be wrong). It usually means that it has been installed for all users at the standard install. To remove it, you need to tweak the installation files (have a look at the detailed topic linked in the first post of the troubleshooting tutorial).

i think you are right about the lock's meaning. however, the standard set of dictionaries is removable through the "add/remove programs" dialog by selecting the "modify" option in the ooo change/remove wizard and unchecking dictionaries under the "optional components" category.

Re: hyphenation with US English

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.

Posted by VA <cu...@hotmail.com>.
Okay,

I downloaded an extensive American English dictionary from the LibreOffice
extension repository. I installed it using the Apache OpenOffice Extension
Manager.

In my Extension Manager, I now have two American English dictionaries
listed. The originally installed English(USA) dictionary is locked and I
can't remove it. It has a lock icon next to it.

If I click on Languages in my Options menu, there is only one option for
English(USA). I'm not sure which of the two English dictionaries this is
referring to. It appears as if this is the original English dictionary, but
I'm not sure.

Does anyone know how to make the new dictionary available in my Languages
drop down menus? This assumes, of course that the English(USA) option is, in
fact, the old English dictionary. If the new dictionary is the one listed in
my drop down languages, then it hasn't solved the hyphenation problem. It's
still hyphenating words at the wrong location.

Virgil

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.