Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net> on 2004/05/07 13:35:17 UTC

Re: Business Objects vs Data Objects [was Re:JXTemplates-what's in a name?]

Derek Hohls dijo:
> Antonio
>
> 1. What books are good?
Hehe.
As I told you before I am not a guru here :-D.
I just bought 1 book of JDO:

Core Java Data Objects:

It was enought to me. But there are other books:

http://www.jdocentral.com/JDO_Books.html

> 2. What is the best(?) OS implementation of JDO that you know of?
Another hard question. You can try the RI from Sun used in OJB.
Personally, I am waiting for the Apache OJB own implementation (Brian
McCallister - currently working on it, thank Brian!). You can find some
hints about some OS JDO implementation here:

I hope Brian is reading this mail (Brian, r u there? Heloo? ;-)) and he
can give you much more help than me.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Business Objects vs Data Objects [was Re:JXTemplates-what's in a name?]

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 07.05.2004 13:35, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>>2. What is the best(?) OS implementation of JDO that you know of?
>
> Another hard question. You can try the RI from Sun used in OJB.
> Personally, I am waiting for the Apache OJB own implementation (Brian
> McCallister - currently working on it, thank Brian!). You can find some
> hints about some OS JDO implementation here:

There are some issues with the reference implementation. I found this
one:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=108367741627573&w=4,
but not the one I remember: When querying 20 objects out of a table with
5000 entries, for Sun' RI of JDO all 5000 objects are instantiated and
the 20 are selected afterwards. That's an extreme performance killer and
I switched to OJB's OTM instead of JDO. I heard much good news about the
already mentioned TJDO: http://tjdo.sourceforge.net/.

Joerg