Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard <hl...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/25 23:02:47 UTC

[Tapestry Central] Joys of cross-browser development

I'm working on a dependent drop-down list inside my Tapestry
application (one I'm building for a client). Guess what? They fire the
critical "change" even completely differently.
In FF, change is fired when:
- You hit enter after tabbing into the select and changing its value
- You tab out of the field after changing its value with the up and
down arrows
- You mouse click on the select, then click on an entry in the pop up
list
This is sensible, even if it does not, perhaps, match the spec.
In IE 6:
- After using the mouse to select a value from the popup
- After changing the value with the up and down arrows
In other words, any visual change to the select causes an immediate
change event. Of course, I need to work around IE's behavior since it
will result in way too many Ajax requests. My event handler needs to
set a timer and wait some time, perhaps 1/4 seconds, before doing the
Ajax update.

--
Posted By Howard to Tapestry Central at 9/25/2009 02:02:00 PM