Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com> on 2017/01/31 19:47:30 UTC

Question about catalina.out log entries, particularly from VersionLoggerListener

We're comparing a number of Tomcat installations at various customers,
trying to figure out why some of them are slow for no apparent reason.

We've started comparing the "JVM Version" entry in catalina.out, entries
on the order of:

> May 26, 2015 12:21:21 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener log
> INFO: Java Home:             /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit/jre
> May 26, 2015 12:21:21 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener log
> INFO: JVM Version:           jvmap3260sr16fp2-20141026_01
> May 26, 2015 12:21:21 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener log

Java Home is fairly explicit, since it matches the known path to where
the JVM lives.

But what about the "JVM Version" entry?

--
JHHL

Re: Question about catalina.out log entries, particularly from VersionLoggerListener

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Question about catalina.out log entries, particularly from VersionLoggerListener

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.
On 1/31/17, 2:32 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> But what about the "JVM Version" entry?
>
> That comes directly from the "java.runtime.version" system property,
> which I believe is read-only. (At least, you can't override it when
> launching the JVM by providing a value for that property using
> - -Djava.runtime.version=foobar). So that string is coming from your
> JVM. It's opaque to Tomcat.
. . .
> If you do a "java -version" from the command-line, you'll probably see
> that string in there, similar to what is shown on this page:

Thanks. That answered it.

One other thing: I notice that in a couple of those customer
installations, I'm not getting the "VersionLoggerListener" messages at
all. Is that from some logging level setting?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

James,

On 1/31/17 2:47 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> We're comparing a number of Tomcat installations at various
> customers, trying to figure out why some of them are slow for no
> apparent reason.
>
> We've started comparing the "JVM Version" entry in catalina.out,
> entries on the order of:
>
>> May 26, 2015 12:21:21 PM
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener log INFO: Java
>> Home: /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit/jre May 26, 2015
>> 12:21:21 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener
>> log INFO: JVM Version:           jvmap3260sr16fp2-20141026_01 May
>> 26, 2015 12:21:21 PM
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener log
>
> Java Home is fairly explicit, since it matches the known path to
> where the JVM lives.
>
> But what about the "JVM Version" entry?

That comes directly from the "java.runtime.version" system property,
which I believe is read-only. (At least, you can't override it when
launching the JVM by providing a value for that property using
- -Djava.runtime.version=foobar). So that string is coming from your
JVM. It's opaque to Tomcat.

Here's the code:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/start
up/VersionLoggerListener.java?revision=1654159&view=markup#l103

If you do a "java -version" from the command-line, you'll probably see
that string in there, similar to what is shown on this page:

(Searching Google for "jvmap3260sr16fp2-20141026_01" yields only 6
results. That's amazing.)

- -chris