Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Quakky <Qu...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/12 18:14:43 UTC

Complete Maven Noob, Is this possible?

Hello,
I am currently in need of some advice concerning Maven. I am a new user,
trying to get maven to work with a project that is pretty complex (doesn't
follow the default tree structure of maven, has to be packaged in a certain
way, etc) . I didn't work on the project, I dont know how to code anything,
infact I only figured out what Maven does after reading the Maven book. I do
not know how to code XML, which pom.xml is written with(?), but I can learn
fast.

My question: Is there anyway a user like me (a noob, who only finished the
"simple" project and never really got it to work 100%) can be able to make
maven work with a complex project that was Not made with maven and be able
to implement this project into a maven environment, and be able to have
maven work in about 2 weeks? or do I need more time to learn Maven?

Thanks

Re: Complete Maven Noob, Is this possible?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
You should be able to use includes/excludes to select particular
folders (and even files) that you want to bundle up into various Jars.

If you're really only building one WAR file, then you could arguably
just bundle all the code into a single Jar, and stick that in the War,
and things should deploy OK. Assuming that works, then you could worry
about breaking it up into more discrete Jar structures etc.

Wayne

RE: Maven 1.x Checkstyle

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
Can you explain further what you are trying to do and what is the problem?
I don't quite understand...

Maven 1.x Checkstyle

Posted by Quakky <Qu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manos Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Quakky wrote:

> Hey guys, thanks for ur input on this...
> I had talked with the programmers of this project and they said they might
> be willing to follow Maven's default layout, and Im willing to kinda work on
> it day and night so does that improve my chances? :D

Having buy-in from your developers improves your chances a whole bunch
(seriously).

Focus on the end goal, which is Standardisation Is Good, and switch on
the features you get for free, like the documentation and reports. And
use the release plugin, it is probably the most useful plugin in the
whole maven suite.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Complete Maven Noob, Is this possible?

Posted by Quakky <Qu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
How complex is the project, and what was it using to build before?
Complexity is in terms of the number of different types of packagings
used, number of different entry points into the build, etc...not just
the number of projects. If the previous build was Ant, and the
projects can be categorized together in terms of how they're built,
it's fairly likely that they use common logic in the Ant
script...which means these projects don't add a lot in terms of
complexity for conversion, since you only have to convert the build
process once for that category, and apply it to them all.

The XML syntax that Maven uses for POMs is very straightforward. As
far as being able to code, that's usually helpful for debugging tests
that stop working, etc. It can also help a lot if it comes to writing
custom plugins for Maven to fill in a gap here or there that isn't
provided by standard plugins from ASF or the Mojo project
(mojo.codehaus.org).

But in any case, if the build complexity is high in the terms I
mentioned above, I would bet that you'll be at it awhile longer than
two weeks. Really the time depends on you having a very intimate
understanding of how the current build runs.

Good luck,

-john

On Oct 12, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Quakky wrote:

> Hello,
> I am currently in need of some advice concerning Maven. I am a new
> user,
> trying to get maven to work with a project that is pretty complex
> (doesn't
> follow the default tree structure of maven, has to be packaged in a
> certain
> way, etc) . I didn't work on the project, I dont know how to code
> anything,
> infact I only figured out what Maven does after reading the Maven
> book. I do
> not know how to code XML, which pom.xml is written with(?), but I
> can learn
> fast.
>
> My question: Is there anyway a user like me (a noob, who only
> finished the
> "simple" project and never really got it to work 100%) can be able
> to make
> maven work with a complex project that was Not made with maven and
> be able
> to implement this project into a maven environment, and be able to
> have
> maven work in about 2 weeks? or do I need more time to learn Maven?
>
> Thanks

---

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On Fri, October 12, 2007 6:14 pm, Quakky wrote:

> My question: Is there anyway a user like me (a noob, who only finished the
> "simple" project and never really got it to work 100%) can be able to make
> maven work with a complex project that was Not made with maven and be able
> to implement this project into a maven environment, and be able to have
> maven work in about 2 weeks? or do I need more time to learn Maven?

You'll very probably need more time.

Maven's strength lies in standardisation: Because source code is in a
standard place, you don't need to tell the compiler or javadocs where to
find the code. Because test output is written to a standard place, you
don't need to tell maven how to incorporate your test results in your
documentation, etc.

The trouble is that when you start to depart from this standardisation,
you have to start overriding the default behaviour and increasing the size
of your maven config, which can end up giving the impression that maven is
harder than it needs to be.

Start small, and get some basic stuff working first. If you can, refactor
your code to conform with the maven structure, updating your previous
build as appropriate. Eventually, you can wean yourself off the previous
build system entirely.

Regards,
Graham