Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stuart Caldwell <St...@ince.co.za> on 2008/06/25 17:39:10 UTC

Apache and Tomcat

Hi,

I know this may sound naïve but is it possible to have tomcat and apache running off the same port - 8080.

I have iis running on port 80 and do not have another server to install apache and tomcat.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Re: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by Bill Davidson <bi...@gmail.com>.
Stuart Caldwell wrote:
> I know this may sound naïve but is it possible to have tomcat and apache running off the same port - 8080.
>
> I have iis running on port 80 and do not have another server to install apache and tomcat.

TCP only allows one listener per port-IP combination.  It really doesn't
make sense to have more.  How would the OS decide which listener gets
the request?

Are you using Apache as a front end to Tomcat using mod_jk or some
other type of proxy?  If so, do you really need direct access to Tomcat?

I use Apache as a front end and route servlet/jsp requests to Tomcat via
mod_jk.  Apache is running on 80 but I've disabled the 8080 connector
to Tomcat.  There's no need for it since I can access Tomcat through
Apache.

If you do need direct access to Tomcat for some reason, is there some
reason you can't put it on another port like say 8081 or something?

RE: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Stuart Caldwell [mailto:StuartC@ince.co.za]
> Subject: Apache and Tomcat
>
> I have iis running on port 80 and do not have another server
> to install apache and tomcat.

Why do you want to install httpd, especially if you already have IIS in the picture?

 - Chuck

Re: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.
On 25/06/2008, at 17:43, "Steve Ochani" <oc...@ncc.edu> wrote:

>> I know this may sound naïve but is it possible to have tomcat and
>> apache running off the same port - 8080.
>>

> No, TCP only allows one port per service.

You can let apache httpd use 8080, move tomcat to something else and
use mod_proxy_ajp to forward the requests through httpd - although as
the above poster mentioned - why do you want to use apache when you
have iis installed?

>> I have iis running on port 80 and do not have another server to
>> install apache and tomcat.7
>>

> Then you can "front end" tomcat with  iis.

Andrew

Re: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
Date sent:	Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:39:10 +0200
From:	Stuart Caldwell <St...@ince.co.za>
Subject:	Apache and Tomcat
To:	users@tomcat.apache.org
Send reply to:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

> Hi,
>

> I know this may sound naïve but is it possible to have tomcat and
> apache running off the same port - 8080.

No, TCP only allows one port per service.

> I have iis running on port 80 and do not have another server to
> install apache and tomcat.

Then you can "front end" tomcat with iis.

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/iis.html

-Steve O.