Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2012/08/19 21:12:12 UTC

A release plan for SDB

Here is a suggestion for how to release SDB as an Apache release.

tl;dr: Put up RC-1, one month for user feedback, then do formal release.

1/ Cut an 1.3.5-RC-1, old style zip distribution.

This whatever is the state of the SNAPSHOT but with the RC-1 designator.

Depends on the last Jena release - jena-core-2.7.3, jena-arq-2.9.3.

The POM with "RC-1" does not go into svn.

2/ Put the distribution files up somewhere e.g.

http://people.apache.org/builds/

which means it is not an official Apache release.  It just a place to
put stuff for people; not used much these days

Alt. http://people.apache.org/~user/

RC-1 is not specifically in the maven snapshot repositories - the
evolving SNAPSHOT is.

3/ Ask users@ to test it or the SNAPSHOT in maven.

If some DB does not get tested, don't remove it; but if then problems
arise after release, then fix if we can but not automatically cut
another release.  This is a proper RC cycle!

4/ Wait a month or so to see what testing occurs.

If there are no negative reports, do a formal release.

If any problems arise, fix, cut RC-(N+1) and cycle around again.

5/ As a general policy, if any new databases are offered, include in the
codebase if the code inclusion does not affect other DB adapter code or
the core code.

6/ The formal release would be an old-style distribution zip/tar.gz and
a maven release repository upload.

	Andy

Re: A release plan for SDB

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
I was just looking at SDB for RC-1.

Builds of the 1.3.5-SNAPSHOT only started recently (it was mis-numbered
previously).

Does anyone  mind if I simply point to the 1.3.5 snapshots as the "RC"
rather than a separate build with RC version number (RC do not go into
the snapshot repository with maven)?

I'm just being a bit lazy (no need to branch/tag/build, we keep a single
line for any tweaks needed to get to release) and avoid getting into a
tangle with staged releases.

	Andy

Re: A release plan for SDB

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.