Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Paul Robinson <pa...@permeance.com.au> on 2008/07/31 16:47:22 UTC

Product question

Hi,

I have a client who has the following requirement:

Background:

They sell custom built office furniture i.e. a desk built to size with
many configurations including height,width, depth, finishing, edging,
material etc

- Customer wants and gets measured up for a desk
- Sales person will specify the desk (currently hand written)
- Sales person then gives hand written spec to the cabinet maker
- Cabinet maker makes the desk to the specifications

I need to work out a way of communicating the specification of the
product to the cabinet maker

I have tried configurable products, product features but nothing seems
to really fit. The ideal situation is the sales person adds a product in
the normal order process and it requests them to enter the specifications.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Regards,
Paul

Re: Product question

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@iguanait.com>.
On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 00:36 +0800, Paul Robinson wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, I can't work out how to make it possible for a
> user to enter a value e.g Width using teh configuration option question.
> The only way I can get things to appear is as a radio button or a check box.

Paul,

the radio buttons can be rendered also as select buttons. For this, you
have to change renderSingleChoiceWithRadioButtons variable in
PrepareConfigForm.groovy file.

For your requirements the best option would be to create a configurable
product, where some(or all) the options are virtual products.
This functionality is still not implemented but I think to work on it
soon (as soon as I have some time).

Bilgin

Re: Product question

Posted by Paul Robinson <pa...@permeance.com.au>.

Re: Product question

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Product question

Posted by Paul Robinson <pa...@permeance.com.au>.
I could, but as I would have to create a product for the specification
options e.g. width, height, depth

Ideally, I would have a configurable option where the Sales Person can
enter the value for the configuration option rather than selecting, but
I assume this is a fundamental function of configuration.

Re: Product question

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Product question

Posted by Paul Robinson <pa...@permeance.com.au>.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Re: Product question

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Product question

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul

I've never used it but I think there is a way to attach a survey to a
product so that you can ask the user a series of questions.  I'm not
sure if would be suitable but it's probably worth a look.

Regards
Scott