Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2013/05/04 20:07:54 UTC

Re: [CHAIN] Chain 2.0

Hi Steve!

thanks a lot for moving things forward, very appreciated and I personally
thank you.

Sorry for the late reply - unfortunately my OSS involvement decreased in
the last months due to my new job, I hope to get better organised soon, in
order to get back contributing ASAP.

Exploring your points:

>    - Support for same features of 1.x
>
> this comes, fortunately, for free: Chain2 is not a complete redesign of
Chain, but rather a restyle

>    - Increased modularisation
>
> Goal achieved - we no longer have a god module, but everything is splitted
in small submodules, i.e. APIs, core, web, ... functionalities are
distributed in separated bundles

>    - Use of generics
>
> Done, I think we have found the definitive design - that doesn't mean this
is a closed chapter, feel free to dig in the source code and fill an issue
if you want to propose an improvement

>    - A Fluent API (EDSL)
>
>  This is achieved via a single class, but agreed that needs anyway to be
better advertised

>    - Web support
>
> Inherited from older Chain releases

>    - Increase number of supported formats  for external chain
>    configuration (add JSON, YAML etc.. to the current support for XML)
>
> As things stand, all of the above have been implemented apart from the
> support for additional files formats (defined in CHAIN-76), although more
> testing and samples are required.

 and, as you already noticed, this is still a TODO :)

> Christians links point to an interesting, if very specific use of chains :
> XChain fuses the commons-chain  and JXPath projects, and there may be merit
> in the creation of a module/component to accommodate this in chains.
> Whether this should be in a 2.0 release needs to be discussed,

I am not sure that feature would fit in the commons component, however
if Christian
is submitting a patch that contributes that functionalities in
commons-chain, I am open to apply it

> however, I would favour the following happening with Chain:
>
>    1. Move CHAIN-76 to another release (2.1?) – I am not aware of any
>    great demand for this functionality
>    2. Make a 2.0 release candidate of the SVN trunk as is and move
>    towards a substantial test phase.

That makes perfectly sense, I second you - just give me the time to have a
deep review to the codebase, so I can cut the first RC.

> This would have the merit of ensuring much of the recent great work from
> Simone and others goes out into the wider world and hopefully kick-starts
> interest in commons-chain. Of course, if the response is minimal, then
> perhaps we should reduce effort in commons-chain as is, although this is a
> wider community decision.
>
> Look forward to hearing opinions on this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve Westwood

Thanks a lot for participating, have a nice day, all the best!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/