Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Manish Chakravarty <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/05 11:16:53 UTC

How do "normal" developers debug apachemodules?

Hi all,

I am using apache 1.3.37, and am trying to write a module for it.

The module has gotten pretty complex. I am using visual studio 2003 to
develop it.
I know of no possible way to debug it. Can someone please give some
pointers/tips?

would gdb on GNU/LInux be a better choice?

--
Warm Regards,
Manish Chakravarty

Re: How do "normal" developers debug apachemodules?

Posted by "Andrew E. White" <ae...@uark.edu>.

Posted by Joachim Zobel <jz...@heute-morgen.de>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:46:53 +0530
> "Manish Chakravarty" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using apache 1.3.37, and am trying to write a module for it.
>> I know of no possible way to debug it. Can someone please give some
>> pointers/tips?
>>
>> would gdb on GNU/LInux be a better choice?
>
> gdb is an option.  Chapter 12 of my book describes how to use it:
> that at least is valid even for Apache 1.

So is VC.  The essential thing on every build of apache is to start it
with the -X flag in httpd 1.3 - you will get ONE worker process and no
parent process.  You can now step it, debug it or whatnot.

If you omit -X (or in 2.x, the -DONE_PROCESS flag) you will find yourself
debugging the PARENT process.  In that case, you have to attach to the
pid of the worker process you want to debug.

Re: How do "normal" developers debug apachemodules?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:46:53 +0530
"Manish Chakravarty" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using apache 1.3.37, and am trying to write a module for it.

Why?  Apache 1.3 has been obsolete for five years!

> The module has gotten pretty complex. I am using visual studio 2003 to
> develop it.

And it was never a windows product in the first place; only a poorly-
performing port of a Unix product.  True cross-platform support started
in Apache 2.0.

http://www.apachetutor.org/