Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by nbier <nb...@carnegietech.org> on 2002/07/13 20:40:40 UTC

JndiPermission and/or warpConnection Problem (?) since patch 208...help?

Newbie, please be gentle.

OS: SuSE Linux 8.0
Web server: Apache 1.3.23
Tomcat 4.0.3

Synopsis: I had been successfully running tomcat in conjunction w/
apache using warpConnection for several weeks.  After a two week break
of not touching the machine, some modifications were made to a web app,
which is when problems began.  Just before the break I had done an
update that included patches for Apache and Tomcat.  When attempting to
access web apps, I am recieving 404, web app not deployed errors via web
browser, although apache_log is stating that the web app has been
deployed.  Additionally, I am finding the following errors in:
catalina.out: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/naming/JndiPermission
apache_log: 2002-07-13 11:57:26
[org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector] Error accepting
requests
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed

The Long Version:

I had set up Apache and Tomcat on my linux box to help out my room-mate,
who needed a servlet engine for a project he was working on.  Getting it
all up and running was a long, involved story in its own right, but
eventually I got it to a stable state, and turned the roomie loose on it
for his project.  His development proceeded w/o any major hitches up
until three days ago.

After making some changes to his web app, he attempted to restart
tomcat; tomcat refused to shutdown, or restart.  Neither of us had done
any work on the system for about two weeks (he was on vacation, my gf
was visiting), which made the problem stranger, since it had been
running perfectly well for weeks at this point.  The last change to the
system that I had done had been about three weeks earlier, when I had
run YaST2's update tool.  I know at that time it had applied a patch to
Apache (buffer overflow) and to Tomcat (something security related).
After some investigation, I realized it had also played w/ my java
installation.  After modifying my JAVA_HOME and CLASSPATH info, the
problem seemed solved--tomcat would once again start-up w/o a problem.

That's when the current problem appeared.  Anytime we attempted to
access the webapp from the web, we'd get a 404 error.  The full text of
the error is:
WebApp: Error 404

                                                  (File: wa_request.c
Line: 198)

Web-application not yet deployed

You can see this yourself from httpd://tomcat.weepingdreams.com (follow
the library link).
(note that this is not displayed in IE, which defaults to the local 404
page if the redirect is less than 1392 bytes--love MS, really I do).

Some investigation revealed errors in both apache_log and catalina.out.
However further research showed that some of the apache_log errors were
repeated, going back to (and beyond) the time that the whole system had
been working. In anycase, the errors:

apache_log:
2002-07-13 12:35:06
[org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConfigurationHandler] Filter
mappings (0)
2002-07-13 12:35:06 WarpHost[tomcat.weepingdreams.com]: Installing web
application at context path /library from URL file:/opt/jakarta/webapp$
2002-07-13 12:35:06 WebappLoader[/library]: Deploying class repositories
to work directory /opt/jakarta/work/tomcat.weepingdreams.com/library
2002-07-13 12:35:06 StandardManager[/library]: Seeding random number
generator class java.security.SecureRandom
2002-07-13 12:35:06 StandardManager[/library]: Seeding of random number
generator has been completed
2002-07-13 12:35:25 [org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector]
Connection from /127.0.0.1:32814 to /127.0.0.1:8008
2002-07-13 12:35:25
[org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConfigurationHandler] Filter
mappings (0)
2002-07-13 12:35:25 WarpHost[tomcat.weepingdreams.com]: Installing web
application at context path /library from URL file:/opt/jakarta/webapp$
2002-07-13 12:35:25 WebappLoader[/library]: Deploying class repositories
to work directory /opt/jakarta/work/tomcat.weepingdreams.com/library
2002-07-13 12:35:25 StandardManager[/library]: Seeding random number
generator class java.security.SecureRandom
2002-07-13 12:35:25 StandardManager[/library]: Seeding of random number
generator has been completed
2002-07-13 12:49:06 [org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector]
Error accepting requests
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:343)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:438)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:409)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector.run(WarpConnector.java:581)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

catalina.out:
Starting service Tomcat-Apache
Apache Tomcat/4.0.3
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/naming/JndiPermission
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.DirContextURLStreamHandler.openConnection(DirContextURLStreamHandler.java:135)

        at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:938)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection.<init>(JarURLConnection.java:64)

        at
sun.net.www.protocol.jar.Handler.openConnection(Handler.java:24)
        at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:938)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.tldConfigJar(ContextConfig.java:1091)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.tldConfig(ContextConfig.java:1042)

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:828)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:224)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:155)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1131)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3345)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:785)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:454)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:714)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConfigurationHandler.deploy(WarpConfigurationHandler.java:312)

        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConfigurationHandler.handle(WarpConfigurationHandler.java:117)

        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection.run(WarpConnection.java:189)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

I started off with a nice, systemic approach to diagnosing the problem
and trying various fixes.  At this point that approach had degenerated
to the point that I am simply chasing my own tail--I don't know what
broke where and whether I fixed it or fouled it up worse.  I'm pretty
certain the problem is not on the apache end, but beyond that, I'm
flipping coins. Anyone have any thoughts, hints, tips or suggestions for
me?

thanks,
Norman Bier