Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Martin Jürgens <ma...@gamesplace.info> on 2007/06/01 15:46:54 UTC

zen.spamhaus.org

Hi,
I am running Debian Etch, Exim4 and Spamassassin 3.1.7.

Now I am trying to find out how to make Spamassassin use Spamhaus Zen.

I am stuck.

Could anyone please tell me what I have to add to my local.cf in order
to use it?

Thanks!

Martin

Re: zen.spamhaus.org

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.
Jerry Durand wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2007, at 11:54 AM, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>

>> That's assuming you aren't using it intelligently. SA checks all
>> received headers via Zen to see if they are in the SBL. PBL and XBL
>> are only checked against last external header, via Zen.
>>

> Ah, nobody mentioned that SA was only using a subset of Zen, I was
> talking about the people using Zen to scan ALL the headers and the body
> of the message.  So, really, SA is just using the SBL subset of Zen to
> scan the headers.  How about the body of the message?

Everything I know that uses zen, uses a subset of it. It's a composite
list, so that is pretty much a given. That's why I send the link to zen
and the link to the page on SA TrustedRelays, to show you a scenario
where one could use ALL of zen on a received header, rather than just
the connecting relay (in a case where the connecting relay is Trusted).

The body of a message is looked at by uri parsers and uses things like
surbl,uribl,uri country, etc to score based on uris found in message
bodies. I wouldn't use any of zen for that, but it's possible to do.
Problem is you lump any host on an IP with other hosts sharing that same
ip. In virtual hosting environment, there can be hundreds of sites on a
single IP, so FPs are common doing this - except perhaps with SBL.

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net

Re: zen.spamhaus.org

Posted by Jerry Durand <jd...@interstellar.com>.

Re: zen.spamhaus.org

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.

Re: zen.spamhaus.org

Posted by Jerry Durand <jd...@interstellar.com>.

Re: zen.spamhaus.org

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.
Jerry Durand wrote:
> At 08:47 AM 6/1/2007, Ken A wrote:
>> Jerry Durand wrote:

>>> Also note, do NOT use Zen to evaluate headers or anything in the body.
>>
>> Unless of course you need to. ;-)
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustedRelays
>> Ken
>
> Not sure how you'd use Zen for this, since it lists all dynamic
> addresses as bad.

see http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/

  Internic tried this and was rejecting mailing lists

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net

Re: zen.spamhaus.org

Posted by Jerry Durand <jd...@interstellar.com>.
At 08:47 AM 6/1/2007, Ken A wrote:
>Jerry Durand wrote:
>>On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Luis Hernán Otegui wrote:
>>
>>>Search through the archives, there was a patch to add it to SA.
>>Also note, do NOT use Zen to evaluate headers or anything in the body.
>
>Unless of course you need to. ;-)
>http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustedRelays
>Ken

Not sure how you'd use Zen for this, since it
lists all dynamic addresses as bad.  Internic
tried this and was rejecting mailing lists based
on submissions from people on dynamic addresses
(like me) even though it was relayed through a trusted sender with AUTH.

Now, if you want to use SBL-XBL, that's fine (I
do).  "Normal" users on dynamic addresses don't show up on those lists.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand

Re: zen.spamhaus.org

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.
Jerry Durand wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Luis Hernán Otegui wrote:
>
>> Search through the archives, there was a patch to add it to SA.
>
> Also note, do NOT use Zen to evaluate headers or anything in the body.

Unless of course you need to. ;-)
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustedRelays
Ken

> Zen is ONLY for approving the server that contacted your server.
  See

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net

Re: zen.spamhaus.org

Posted by Jerry Durand <jd...@interstellar.com>.
On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Luis Hernán Otegui wrote:

> Search through the archives, there was a patch to add it to SA.

Also note, do NOT use Zen to evaluate headers or anything in the
body.  Zen is ONLY for approving the server that contacted your
server.  See the notes on the Spamhaus.org web page.

Re: zen.spamhaus.org

Posted by Luis Hernán Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
Search through the archives, there was a patch to add it to SA.

Luix

2007/6/1, Martin Jürgens <ma...@gamesplace.info>:
> Hi,
> I am running Debian Etch, Exim4 and Spamassassin 3.1.7.
>
> Now I am trying to find out how to make Spamassassin use Spamhaus Zen.
>
> I am stuck.
>
> Could anyone please tell me what I have to add to my local.cf in order
> to use it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Martin

GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You...