Posted to rpc-user@xml.apache.org by Miguel DeAvila <md...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/20 22:28:36 UTC

logging

It would be helpful if the xmlrpc package supported logging via log4j rather then printing to System.err ...

thoughts?

Miguel DeAvila

Re: logging

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:44, Daniel Rall wrote:
> > [moving discussion to dev list]
>>
>> Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> writes:

>> > If anything we should probably think about moving towards using the
>> > commons logging package.
>>
>> This would be very useful, but again raises the question of how to
>> deal with external dependencies.  Many users are using the client code
>> from an applet (I assume that no one is using the server?), and extra
>> downloads (like most things) are always a PITA from applets.  Building
>> the external dep's code into the XML-RPC JAR is not a good idea, as it
>> leads to conflicts and LinkageErrors, the cause of which are very,
>> very difficult to debug (especially in apps which use multiple JARs,
>> some of which come from different class loaders).
>
> The commons-logging jar is pretty small, I think ~20k, and it will use
> it's standard SimpleLogger if no real logging implementations are
> present. I think this is bearable and would definitely make logging
> easier and more flexible.

I say go for it.  Looks like general sentiment has this implementation
moving away from being easily usable from applets.

Re: logging

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Re: logging

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@apache.org
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: logging

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@apache.org
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: logging

Posted by Glenn McComb <gl...@mccomb.com>.
Encapsulating logging for XML-RPC is more than a good idea, if for no other
reason than for performance and stability (try fixing a production console
java app only to find that the operator hit ctrl-S).

I agree that XML-RPC should support the overiding of a logging method with
the current default behavior (system.out). It would be a trivial change,
backward compatible, and a big improvement.

On top of this, it'd be nice if the logging methods were overloaded as well,
with args in the style of syslog, again with the default behavior routing
thru the simple logger method. Once this is done, we can actually instrument
xmlrpc server with debug log statements controlled by a property-- but this
functionaly can be incrementally added and used by those that can benefit
from it. (like me! ;)

--glenn mccomb

Glenn A. McComb             tel 858.551.9218
President & CEO             fax 858.777.3302
Navatar LLC                     La Jolla, CA
glenn@navatar.com            www.navatar.com
High-Performance Internet & Wireless Systems
     Architecture, Design & Development

RE: logging

RE: logging

RE: logging