Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Miguel Costa <mi...@telecom.pt> on 2011/05/25 22:13:44 UTC

HBase major_,compaction

I created a table with a small maxfilesize (64MB)and now the table has got lots of regions, more than 1000.

I changed the maxfilesize to a bigger number  (512MB) but I still have lots of regions even after I major_compact all tables. I t seems that major_compact didn'tcompact any region.

What can I do to compact the regions and have fewer regions, and how can I check if the table is already compacted?

I'm using Hbase 0.90.2.

Thanks,

Miguel

Re: HBase major_,compaction

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Major compaction will not merge old small regions.  The change in
cable schema makes it so existing ones will grow larger before they in
turn split.  To check a table is already compacted, do an lsr on the
table's directory in hdfs.   See how many storefiles.  If a major
compaction ran recently, there should be one file only in most leaf
directories.

St.Ack