Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by rmx <ru...@hotmail.com> on 2010/11/25 10:06:07 UTC

k-Means convergence

Hi, just a basic question.

I am using  Mahout k-Means with the same initial centroids file, and enough
iterations to converge.
I was expecting the algorithm would produce the same results every time I
run it over the same dataset with the same settings.
Most of the times it does. But sometimes it doesn't.
I am running the experiments with an EC2 10 machines cluster.

Is this behavior expected with Mahout k-means?
Or is it something wrong?

Thanks

Re: k-Means convergence

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Starting conditions can affect the results of k-means so this is probably
expected behavior.