Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/06 08:31:51 UTC

High Availability hadoop cluster.

Hello.
We are using hortonwork distribution and want to evaluate HA capabilities.
Can community please share the best practices and potential problems?
Is it required additional hardware?

Thanks
Oleg.

Re: High Availability hadoop cluster.

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
Oleg,
why don’t you talk to me?

Put 1 ZK and 1 JN on NN boxes, third one on one of the data nodes.
HA wizard will automatically remove SNN from your cluster and put second NN in it’s place instead.
If something does not work as you expected, give me a call.

Thank you!

Leonid Fedotov
Systems Architect - Professional Services
lfedotov@hortonworks.com
office: +1 855 846 7866 ext 292
mobile: +1 650 430 1673

The best way to explain - do it yourself.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: High Availability hadoop cluster.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.
For 17 box cluster it's probably good to run 5 ZKs and 5 JNs

So, run 2 ZKs on 2 NNs
3 ZKs on 3 DNs

same for JNs

you can start additional ZKs and JNs after you are done with initial
Enabling HA in Ambari

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
Oleg,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: High Availability hadoop cluster.

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
Oleg,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: High Availability hadoop cluster.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
Oleg,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: High Availability hadoop cluster.

Posted by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>.
Great.

Posted by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>.
Great.

Posted by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>.
Great.

Posted by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>.
Great.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrej <an...@bsdaemon.hu>.
JN is the journalnode. You have to use it for HA. Like zookeeper, you
need odd numbers of JN.
Anyway ZKFC is neccessary too for automatic failover.

Posted by Andrej <an...@bsdaemon.hu>.

Posted by Andrej <an...@bsdaemon.hu>.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.