Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by David Paenson <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/11 22:10:36 UTC

OpenOffice for Android

Dear all,

I keep on thinking: wouldn't it be wonderful if OpenOffice was
available for tablets running Android?

Yesterday I had to tell a student who had bought a cheap tablet
including external keyboard she had better resell it and buy instead a
netbook, so she could install OpenOffice for Linux or Windows.

Could Google not be approached by OpenOffice programmers with an offer
of the sort:

"We OpenOffice programmers could and would port OpenOffice to android,
but we of course need to be paid proper programmers' salary. A first
working and tested edition would take us around 15 months, working as
a group of 5 programmers." ?

Google/Android has no proper office suite. Microsoft will probably
never want to port their MS Office to Android, because that would be
the end of Windows 8, and Apple is not really interested in Office
software anyway, at least not for Android.

So OppenOffice would dominate the market for Android tablets, which
would be good for Google too :).

Yours
Dave

Re: OpenOffice for Android

Posted by BIG JAM <in...@bigjam.191.it>.
hi fernando
can you help me find some developer for a 'that makes this extension:
must export the multimedia in PDF

thanks
dario

Re: OpenOffice for Android

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/11/12, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
>> However, I do
>> wonder what would it prevent anyone to take the OO algoritm to manage
>> ODF and port it to Java and skin it under the Android native Toolkit.
>
> I would prefer Java based Thinkfree office (which has Java SE and
> Android versions already) becoming FOSS.
>
> http://mobile.thinkfree.com/en/index.html
> http://office.thinkfree.com/en/index.html
>
> Where is Sun Microsystems when one needs them?... (rethorical question)
> I wish Scott McNealy would stop playing golf and return to the IT
> landscape... I clearly miss his vision... *
>
> FC
> * http://www.openoffice.org/press/sun_release.html

I wonder if it has ODF support, it seems it only support proprietary documents.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: OpenOffice for Android

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Re: OpenOffice for Android

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
The guys from KOffice got some funding by Nokia to port their office
suite to Maemo-Meego back in 2009, if the project experience demand
they were going to continue their work for a full blown editor.
Unfortunately, we all know what happened to those. However, I do
wonder what would it prevent anyone to take the OO algoritm to manage
ODF and port it to Java and skin it under the Android native Toolkit.

I think that was the goal of the URE, to have an engine separate from
the product. However this engine didnt really acquire much demand,
also I think it was a bit too bootstrap. At least thats the feedback I
saw from the lists of devs when they tried to use it.

A different effort on Andorid are the WebODF viewer
(http://webodf.org/) which is available on the Google store on JS, I
think is a rework of XUL ODFViewer http://odfview.webs.com/:

Also there is already a AndrOffice which is mainly a spreadsheet, but
they are working on making this a full fledge office suite.
http://www.androffice.com

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: OpenOffice for Android

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: OpenOffice for Android

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 12 October 2012 00:50, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM, David Paenson <da...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I keep on thinking: wouldn't it be wonderful if OpenOffice was
> > available for tablets running Android?
> >
> > Yesterday I had to tell a student who had bought a cheap tablet
> > including external keyboard she had better resell it and buy instead a
> > netbook, so she could install OpenOffice for Linux or Windows.
>
> No, it would be better if consumers educated themselves

That has never happened in the past so it is unlikely to happen in the
future. Consumers have usually followed big marketing bucks - Microsoft,
Apple, Google - fashion more than logic.

> and purchased
> an AMD or Intel x86 based tablet (I favor AMD Fusion myself), where
> you can install ANY OS you want, including standard x86 Linux (Fedora,
> Ubuntu, etc), and run standard Apache OpenOffice, Firefox, and any
> software you want.

Except that ARM is pretty unlikely to relinquish its dominance on mobile
technologies. If you want it mobile port it to ARM. Even Microsoft is
having to do this.

> See:
> http://ho.io/AMDTablet
>
> Video of AMD Fusion tablet running Ubuntu
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfhP1cpGhHw
>
> Same tablet running ArchLinux
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSf4lBsExp0
>
> The latest AMD Fusion tablets get 8-hours of 720p video playback on a
> battery charge, and the equivalent CPU horsepower of an AMD Sempron
> 3000...
>
> So, the notion that "tablets=limited" or "tablets=Android" irks me a
> lot. If you get an x86 tablet, you get all the power of a regular
> notebook, with a touch screen instead of keyboard...

Maybe, but it isn't the way the market is going.

--

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: OpenOffice for Android

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-10-11 5:50 PM Fernando Cassia wrote:
>>
>> No, it would be better if consumers educated themselves and purchased
>> an AMD or Intel x86 based tablet (I favor AMD Fusion myself), where
>> you can install ANY OS you want, including standard x86 Linux (Fedora,
>> Ubuntu, etc), and run standard Apache OpenOffice, Firefox, and any
>> software you want.
>

> Can you install OS X on them?

AFAIK Apple´s EULA restrictions only allow running Mac OS X on Apple
branded hardware.

There´s ´hackintosh´ efforts to run Apple´s OS on non-Apple hardware
but that is not an officially supported config by Apple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86

Don´t be afraid of Linux, Ubuntu is quite easy to use, as is Fedora 17
with its Gnome 3.x interface....

And being a x86 tablet you can even run Virtualbox or WINE to run any
proprietary/commercial Windows app you might need.

Just my $0.02
FC
- George Orwell

Re: OpenOffice for Android

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-10-11 5:50 PM Fernando Cassia wrote:
> No, it would be better if consumers educated themselves and purchased
> an AMD or Intel x86 based tablet (I favor AMD Fusion myself), where
> you can install ANY OS you want, including standard x86 Linux (Fedora,
> Ubuntu, etc), and run standard Apache OpenOffice, Firefox, and any
> software you want.

Can you install OS X on them?

--

Larry I. Gusaas