Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2012/01/21 15:50:44 UTC

[Graduation] Resolution description text

We've done all the necessary things (note to self: check it's all
recorded): IP, website, developer community, development, release, added
committers and PMC members.

I haven’t heard anyone disagreeing with the idea of graduating ... now
would be a good time to speak up if you've forgotten to send email about
something. :-)

So I think we're in good shape.  One part of graduation is board
resolution and one part of that is the description of the project in a
few words.

The template is

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/templates/podling-tlp-resolution.txt

(not public but the graduation discussions are).

There are two slots: DESCRIPTION and PROJECT.

== Recent Examples

Apache Bean-Validation (BVAL)
http://s.apache.org/IV2

Apache Gora
http://s.apache.org/OyO

Apache Empire
http://s.apache.org/QsQ

== PROJECT

I'm assuming the project name is "Apache Jena". !!!

As this is already well known, I don't think a full name check is needed
but I did a quick spot check using Bing (Google uses Google+ to skew
results - I get us for "jena" as #1 hit)

Bing "Jena" ==>
#1 Wikipedia page about the town in Germany
#2 Jena-uk - a manufacturer of aluminium containers
#3 Our incubator site
#4 Wikipedia page about a significant recent history event in Jena,
Louisiana, US.
... stuff about binoculars (Carl Zeiss started in Jena, DE)

(aside - all the hits go to http://incubator.a.o/jena -- they seem to
have taken on board the redirections openjena and SF)

== DESCRIPTION

This fits in two paragraphs:

            .... establish a Project Management
        open-source software related to ${DESCRIPTION-AND-SCOPE}
        for distribution at no charge to the public.

and

        .... responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
        related to ${DESCRIPTION-AND-SCOPE};

looking at other resolutions, they don't have to be the same.  Or very long.

= Proposal for Description

Our issue for a description that does not mess up Stanbol, Clerezza
Any23 and any possible future projects.  Obviously, in a short
description, its not going to be precise to Jena, and it needs to be
open to things that Jena might receive in the future.

First text:

[[
the processing, storage and retrieval of semantic web data
]]
which does not say "publish" which I would have if it included "linked
data".

Second text (same)

Alternative:
s/semantic web data/linked data/

I chose "semantic web" as it's about the base technology, not the
manifestation, "linked data" - this isn't primarily for marketing.

We could add "tools" but I'm happy that tools are a delivery of the
technology.

Other suggestions, refinements etc etc most welcome.  Wordsmithing these
things is not my strong point.

	Andy

Putting it all together:
(this is not a final draft)

     X. Establish the Apache Jena Project

        open-source software related to the processing, storage
        and retrieval of semantic web data for distribution at
        no charge to the public.

        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Jena Project",
        Foundation; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the Apache Jena Project be and hereby is
        related to the processing, storage and retrieval of
        semantic web data and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Jena" be
        and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
        serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
        of the Apache Jena Project, and to have primary responsibility
        for management of the projects within the scope of
        responsibility of the Apache Jena Project; and be it further

        Apache Jena Project:

          * <Include PMC here -- mentors - who is continuing?>

        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that John Smith
        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Jena, to
        serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
        or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Jena PMC be and hereby is
        tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
        encourage open development and increased participation in the
        Apache Jena Project; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the Apache Jena Project be and hereby
        Incubator Jena podling; and be it further

        Incubator Jena podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
        Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [Graduation] Resolution description text

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
*bump*.

Guys, this determines the scope of your project for the next couple of
years. This is you asking the apache board of directors to pass a
Resolution to create a Committee and appointing a new Officer of the
Foundation. It may not look like it, but it is the most important
event for jena since deciding to incubate -- it matters.

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> = Proposal for Description
> [[
> the processing, storage and retrieval of semantic web data
> ]]
>         * <Include PMC here -- mentors - who is continuing?>

Like I mentioned on private@, I don't want to be on the roster. I'll
be on your mailing lists; I just like not having responsibility :-)

cheerio,

Leo

Re: [Graduation] Resolution description text

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 21/01/12 15:20, Thorsten Möller wrote:

> Am 21.01.2012 um 15:50 schrieb Andy Seaborne:
>
>> As this is already well known, I don't think a full name check is
>> needed but I did a quick spot check using Bing (Google uses Google+
>> to skew results - I get us for "jena" as #1 hit)
>

>> Bing "Jena" ==> #1 Wikipedia page about the town in Germany
>
> Slightly off topic, but Jena is not named after Jena (the SemWeb
> framework versus the town)?
>
> You might  grin at me, but this question is awaiting an answer for
> years, and this was probably the best moment to ask. Since I know
> this town, I was always wondering whether there is a relation between
> the two and how Jena (the SemWeb framework) got its name. Maybe
> someone can shed a light on where the name comes from (I've never
> found an explanation somewhere on the project's Web site).
>
> Thorsten

It's not related to the town - it's a form of the name of Brian's
daughter.  The fact that it's also a form of one of my children's names
is also unrelated.

	Andy

Re: [Graduation] Resolution description text

Posted by Thorsten Möller <th...@unibas.ch>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 01/02/12 20:50, Ian Dickinson wrote:
>>
>> On 01/02/12 15:56, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>

>> [[
>> accessing, storing, querying, publishing and reasoning with semantic web
>> data while under the influence of standards
>> ]]
>>
>> :)
>

> I can definitely go for "while under the influence"

I would go so far as to say that you should drive for that wording.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Dickinson <ia...@epimorphics.com>.
On 01/02/12 15:56, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>> [[ the processing, storage and retrieval of semantic web data ]]
>>> which does not say "publish" which I would have if it included
>>> "linked data".
>>
>> Include 'publish' either way: we include serialisers after all.
>

> s/retrieval/publication/ ?
>
> [[
> the processing, storage and publication of semantic web data
> ]]
That lumps all of the model API, query handling and the inference
machinery under "processing". Which might be OK, because the alternative
gets to be a bit of a laundry list:

[[
accessing, storing, querying, publishing and reasoning with semantic web
data
]]

>>> Second text (same)
>>>
>>> Alternative: s/semantic web data/linked data/
>>>
>>> I chose "semantic web" as it's about the base technology, not the
>>> manifestation, "linked data" - this isn't primarily for marketing.
>>
>> I'm indifferent having never been that keen on either label. I like
>> the 'web' in semantic web and 'data' in linked data :-)
>
> +1
>
> But putting in our own terminology like "data web" kinda begs
> explanation. "web of data" or "data web" are a bit wide.
>

>> Overall I think this is fine. One suggestion: should we mention
>> supporting standards / recommendations? I don't want to commit us to
>> supporting all W3C recs of course (!), but I'd consider any
>> contribution that improved standards support a good fit with jena.
>
> Good point - that is an important part of Jena.
>
> Not sure if this:
> [[
> the processing, storage and publication of semantic web data through the
> use of standards
> ]],
>
> meaning de facto and de jure standards, is any better as tends to go too
> far the other way as suggesting standards only.
>
> Any wording suggestions?

[[
accessing, storing, querying, publishing and reasoning with semantic web
data in concordance with relevant standards
]]

(or ..

[[

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 31/01/12 23:32, Damian Steer wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2012, at 14:50, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
>> We've done all the necessary things (note to self: check it's all
>> recorded): IP, website, developer community, development, release,
>> added committers and PMC members.
>>
>> I haven’t heard anyone disagreeing with the idea of graduating ...
>> now would be a good time to speak up if you've forgotten to send
>> email about something. :-)
>
> +1
>
>> = Proposal for Description
>>
>> Our issue for a description that does not mess up Stanbol, Clerezza
>> Any23 and any possible future projects.  Obviously, in a short
>> description, its not going to be precise to Jena, and it needs to
>> be open to things that Jena might receive in the future.
>
> Not messing up 'any possible future projects' gives quite a hostage
> to fortune :-)

Yes :-)  It's something to be aware of, rather than an absolute condition.

>> First text:
>>
>> [[ the processing, storage and retrieval of semantic web data ]]
>> which does not say "publish" which I would have if it included
>> "linked data".
>
> Include 'publish' either way: we include serialisers after all.

s/retrieval/publication/ ?

[[
the processing, storage and publication of semantic web data
]]

>> Second text (same)
>>
>> Alternative: s/semantic web data/linked data/
>>
>> I chose "semantic web" as it's about the base technology, not the
>> manifestation, "linked data" - this isn't primarily for marketing.
>
> I'm indifferent having never been that keen on either label. I like
> the 'web' in semantic web and 'data' in linked data :-)

+1

But putting in our own terminology like "data web" kinda begs
explanation.  "web of data" or "data web" are a bit wide.

> Overall I think this is fine. One suggestion: should we mention
> supporting standards / recommendations? I don't want to commit us to
> supporting all W3C recs of course (!), but I'd consider any
> contribution that improved standards support a good fit with jena.

Good point - that is an important part of Jena.

Not sure if this:
[[
the processing, storage and publication of semantic web data through the
use of standards
]],

meaning de facto and de jure standards, is any better as tends to go too
far the other way as suggesting standards only.

Any wording suggestions?

If get to 2 or 3 possibilities, we can line them out a take a strawpoll.

	Andy

Posted by Damian Steer <d....@bristol.ac.uk>.

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Andy Seaborne wrote:
> [[
> the processing, storage and retrieval of semantic web data
> ]]

[...]

> Putting it all together:
> (this is not a final draft)

>     X. Establish the Apache Jena Project
>
>        WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>        interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>        Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>        Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>        open-source software related to the processing, storage
>        and retrieval of semantic web data for distribution at
>        no charge to the public.
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Jena Project",
>        be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
>        Foundation; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the Apache Jena Project be and hereby is
>        responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
>        related to the processing, storage and retrieval of
>        semantic web data and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Jena" be
>        and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
>        serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
>        of the Apache Jena Project, and to have primary responsibility
>        for management of the projects within the scope of
>        responsibility of the Apache Jena Project; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>        hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>        Apache Jena Project:
>
>          * <Include PMC here -- mentors - who is continuing?>
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that John Smith
>        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Jena, to
>        serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>        Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>        or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Jena PMC be and hereby is
>        tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
>        encourage open development and increased participation in the
>        Apache Jena Project; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the Apache Jena Project be and hereby
>        is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>        Incubator Jena podling; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>        Incubator Jena podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
>        Project are hereafter discharged.

+1

I do not have complaints nor improvements.

Thanks Andy for kicking this off.

Paolo

Re: [Graduation] Resolution description text

Posted by Stephen Allen <sa...@apache.org>.
+1

Presumably, querying is encompassed by "processing, storage and retrieval".

-Stephen