Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by FNW <ah...@plansoft.de> on 2008/08/26 15:36:44 UTC

License question (remove javadocs and examples)

Hello everybod !

Although this is probably not the right place to ask these things, I hope to
get at least the correct contact person(s) or address(es) named if nobody
can help.
Alright, my question concerns the Apache License 2.0 that comes with the
latest FOP (0.95). The company I am working for uses the FO processor to
automate offer generation and always includes the full FOP package (which
means all files present in the binary ZIP archive) in the CDs supplied to
customers. As it contains more than 10,000 files of documentation (folders
"docs" and "javadocs") and examples, CD setup takes quite some time because
of the slow seek speed of CD drives compared to hard disks.
Hence, dropping these "unneccessary" files (they are at least unneccessary
for their customers) would dramatically improve setup performance. As I
don't want to violate any license, I kindly ask for your feedback, if it is
conform to the Apache License to remove (one or all) the following
directories from the binary archive prior to redistribution: docs, examples,
javadocs.

Naturally, no other files or folders would be altered.

Thank you very much for any support !

FNW

Re: License question (remove javadocs and examples)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
It's quite ok to ask this here.

Disclaimer: this is not legal advice. IANAL!

There's no obligation to redistribute the documentation, examples and
javadocs in the Apache License v2.0. If you want to put together the
smallest possible set of files that you bundle with your application,
you can do the following:

1. Copy all necessary dependencies (JAR files) from the "lib" directory
along with the license text files that belong to them (they are in the
same directory).

2. Copy fop.jar from the "build" directory.

3. Copy the LICENSE and NOTICE files in the distribution root. You can
rename them to fop.LICENSE.txt and fop.NOTICE.txt to match the pattern
we used in the "lib" directory. It's a good idea to put these two text
files next to fop.jar so it's clear that they belong together.

1 and 3 ensure that you follow point 1 in section 4 of the ALv2:
"You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License"

You should probably re-read at least section 4 of the ALv2 [1] so you
catch all the details. The point 4 in section 4 is particularly
important. But that should also be covered if you just make sure the
NOTICE files (along with the LICENSE files) are found in the
installation next to the JAR files.

[1] http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Basically, you can see in the "lib" directory of FOP's distribution that
we do exactly what I described above. And you can do the same. Please
note that unlike the GPL, the ALv2 doesn't require redistributing or
making available of the source code when redistributing. But it's always
a good idea to include a link somewhere so people know where to find the
source code if they want to have a look at the open source components
you use. That's what I did in the lib/README.txt file.

A good gesture is also to include the following text from the NOTICE
file in your application's main "About" dialog:

I hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask if anything's unclear. And
thanks for wanting to do this the right way!

On 26.08.2008 15:36:44 FNW wrote:

> Hello everybod !
>
> Although this is probably not the right place to ask these things, I hope to
> get at least the correct contact person(s) or address(es) named if nobody
> can help.
> Alright, my question concerns the Apache License 2.0 that comes with the
> latest FOP (0.95). The company I am working for uses the FO processor to
> automate offer generation and always includes the full FOP package (which
> means all files present in the binary ZIP archive) in the CDs supplied to
> customers. As it contains more than 10,000 files of documentation (folders
> "docs" and "javadocs") and examples, CD setup takes quite some time because
> of the slow seek speed of CD drives compared to hard disks.
> Hence, dropping these "unneccessary" files (they are at least unneccessary
> for their customers) would dramatically improve setup performance. As I
> don't want to violate any license, I kindly ask for your feedback, if it is
> conform to the Apache License to remove (one or all) the following
> directories from the binary archive prior to redistribution: docs, examples,
> javadocs.
>
> Naturally, no other files or folders would be altered.
>

> Thank you very much for any support !
>
> FNW

Jeremias Maerki