Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Lorenzo Bolzani <l....@gmail.com> on 2008/08/06 19:48:49 UTC

Multiple instances of pages and spring integration

Hi all, I have a page to monitor the status of a remote device.
The page just stay there and refresh automatically to display the actual state.

The problem is that I need to have to distinct pages to monitor two
distinct devices.

My ideal approach would be to define two pages in spring, something like this

<bean class="DeviceMonitorPage" name="monitor1">
    <property name="device" ref="device1"/>
    <property name="mountUrl" value="deviceMonitor1"/>
</bean>

<bean class="DeviceMonitorPage" name="monitor2">
    <property name="device" ref="device2"/>
    <property name="mountUrl" value="deviceMonitor2"/>
</bean>

but I know that Wicket is not going to look for this pages in my
spring-config file.

In other words I need two instances of the same page configured in two
different ways.
Is this possibile? How can I pass in the parameters (with or without
spring)? I found nothing about this in the docs.
In this way I could pass in the ref name (device1 or device2) and make
it work with an explicit spring context lookup (no injection).

The @SpringBean annotation works but in this specific case it is not
usable because of the two different parameters.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bye

Lorenzo

Re: Multiple instances of pages and spring integration

Posted by Michael Sparer <mi...@gmx.at>.
Well if it's no dynamic parameter but a static one, different for each page
... why not subclassing a basepage with changed attributes?

If the only problem you see is a missing overview, i.e. you'd like to
control the different values at one place, you should consider setting the
properties e.g. in the application ...

regards
Michael

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Lorenzo Bolzani <l....@gmail.com> wrote:
> So you are saying that wicket does not provide a standard way for page
> configuration.
> So I'll develop a custom solution based on spring or on property files.

there is no one-way-fits-all way of configuring pages, this is too
application specific for us to provide anything.

>> there is no need for a framework to provide anything special for such
>> a usecase, it is just java...
>
> Even I18N is "just java", you could write the wicket code yourself if
> you should. But I chose to use wicket just not to have to.
> I think configurability is a very common requirement for any web
> framework (even servlets had this). Even a simple solution based on
> property files

ok, thats done... getString("key") will read the .properties files...

> or, for example, a complete integration with Spring
> would be useful.

yeah, that would be awesome. and what about all those pesky users we
have who do not use spring?

-igor

Posted by Lorenzo Bolzani <l....@gmail.com>.
2008/8/11 Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>:
> then have your page look it up itself from the spring context using
> some registry
>
> class mypage extends webpage {
>  @SpringBean private PageConfigRegistry registry;
>
>  public mypage() {
>    mydata data=(mydata)registry.getdatafor(getclass());
>    // do whatever with data
>
>    // ^ or put that lookup into your base page so page just has to
> call getConfigData()
>  }
> }

So you are saying that wicket does not provide a standard way for page
configuration.
So I'll develop a custom solution based on spring or on property files.

> there is no need for a framework to provide anything special for such
> a usecase, it is just java...

Even I18N is "just java", you could write the wicket code yourself if
you should. But I chose to use wicket just not to have to.
I think configurability is a very common requirement for any web
framework (even servlets had this). Even a simple solution based on
property files or, for example, a complete integration with Spring
would be useful.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lorenzo Bolzani <l....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Sparer <mi...@gmx.at>.