Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Mario Peters <ma...@vermogensplanet.nl> on 2003/09/17 15:10:23 UTC

Enum datatype for mysql database

I'm working on a very large project and I'm storing my data in a MySQL
database.
I'm using Torque 3.1 for easily storing the data.
The database has some fields, which have datatype ENUM.
On a site on the internet I read that torque isn't able to use this
datatype.
On another site I found some sourcecode of the following class:

org.apache.torque.engine.database.transform;

        // special case for MySQL ENUM's which are stupid anyway
441     // and not properly handled by Torque.
442     if (columnType.toUpperCase().equals("ENUM"))
443     {

What does this mean?
Does it mean that Torque is able to handle the datatype ENUM for a mysql
database?

If Torque isn't able to handle the datatype ENUM, is it possible that I add
this feature to Torque by my self??
I guess this will be possible, but can someone help me out in which classes
I have to add things for using the ENUM datatype.

The functionality I would like to add to the ENUM datatype is, that the java
sourcecode validates (relying on the values of the column with the enum
datatype) the values that a user wants to store in the database.

Thanks in advance.

Mario Peters
mailto:mario.peters@vermogensplanet.nl