Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> on 2021/10/01 06:01:35 UTC

Re: Issue with 3.8.2 and support status of 3.6.3, 3.5.X, 3.3.X and .3.2.X

Howdy,

I was chased away from Brew many times with the words "it's not a version
manager" :)

Yes, Brew is a tool that helps you install stuff, but it really focus on
"latest", and does not have a notion of package "version", they solve it
(correct me if I'm wrong), by doing some trickeries around formulas (so
X.0.1 and X.0.2 are actually TWO formulas).

In short, I don\t want to be smartxss, but:
- are you sure Brew is the tool you want to provision Maven?
- Are you aware of SDKMAN (https://sdkman.io/) for example, that is able to
do exactly what you need, out of the box?

But in general, I am completely aligned with Karl, try latest (as you
noticed, soon 3.8.3)

HTH
Tamas

Posted by Delany <de...@gmail.com>.
Just use the Maven wrapper. Honestly all this can be avoided.
Delany

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

So my personal experience: I did stick with Homebrew on mac, while I was on
macs,
then switched to linux and used Linuxbrew (nowaday the two are merged :D ),
but
Brew was always pissing me off when it came to Java/Java related tooling.

I use (linux)brew even today for some "edge" _native_ CLI tools (for GUI
apps there
is flatpak), for things like Go, Hugo, Packer, HaProxy etc, but I really
stopped using Brew
for anything that is Java related, as it became a real PITA: it started
installing some
Java runtimes you did not ask for (to satisfy formula dep) while you had
adoptopen8
installed, and so on and so on.

Since, I switched "anything that has to do with Java" to SDKman, it is
great experience, at least it was like a revelation for me after brew...

HTH
Tamas

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.
Gidday Tamas,