Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Erika Marsilio <at...@gte.net> on 2002/03/16 14:47:41 UTC

CGI error: couldn't spawn child process

Hi;
I installed apache_1.3.23-win32-86-no_src on windows XP.  The
installation/configuration seems to be working fine since I can get to
the default apache page.  However, when I try to run the CGI scripts it
keeps giving me the same Internal Server Error message.  I do not know
what is wrong.  The error log states:
[Fri Mar 15 20:10:44 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] couldn't spawn
child process: c:/program files/apache
group/apache/cgi-bin/checking.cgi.  I do not know what does this mean.
I read the FAQ's and the Apache Today questions (no answers) I noticed
that this is a common problem.  What should I do?  I know that perl is
working fine.  I have been at this for a long time.  Help!!

Thanks!

Erika

RE: CGI error: couldn't spawn child process

Posted by Erika Marsilio <at...@gte.net>.
Thank you that was the error!!!!!!  Thanks again.

> [Fri Mar 15 20:10:44 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] couldn't spawn
> child process: c:/program files/apache
> group/apache/cgi-bin/checking.cgi.  I do not know what does this mean.

What does the cgi script look like?  Does it have a proper path to the
script interpreter on its first line?

Joshua.

Re: CGI error: couldn't spawn child process

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Carlos Costa Portela <cc...@servidores.net>.
On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Erika Marsilio wrote:
> what is wrong.  The error log states:
> [Fri Mar 15 20:10:44 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] couldn't spawn
> child process: c:/program files/apache
> group/apache/cgi-bin/checking.cgi.  I do not know what does this mean.

	How many running processes do you have in this machine?. What is
the max clients variable in apache httpd.conf?. Perhaps the solution has
something to do with this.

	Good luck,
		Carlos.

           [ all about apache+web : http://www.improveyourweb.com ]