Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "andy law (RI)" <an...@bbsrc.ac.uk> on 2006/09/05 14:26:20 UTC

Failing tests - a plea from the heart

I've just finished beating my head against the modperl tests. I
understand that I'm not alone in having been down this route.

I also understand from trawling through the mailing list archives - a
not entirely pain-free procedure itself - that the mod_perl 'grown-ups'
are "getting tired" of answering questions about failing tests,
particularly those about content_length_header.t and status.t.

Also, I note from my trips through the archives that I am not alone in
thinking that the tests should work 'out of the box'. Darryl Miles - I
too feel your pain (and frustration).

And all this pain would be prevented by the simple addition of a 'Known
issues with the tests' section on the web site. Heck, you even have a
section entitled "'make test' Failures" in the documents already. How
hard would it be to keep the current known issues up to date in this
document (or at least add a reference to a page on which they were
recorded)?

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the work all the good boys and girls
of open source freeware land do for us all. But we have a communication
issue here, where both sides are getting frustrated and it seems that
the fix could be so trivially simple that it makes NO sense not to do
it?

And now I'm going back to my day job (which is actually *using*
mod_perl, not working out why tests are failing!)

Later,

Andy

-------------
Yada, yada, yada...

The information contained in this e-mail (including any attachments) is
confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee only.   The
opinions expressed within this e-mail (including any attachments) are
the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of
Roslin Institute (Edinburgh) ("the Institute") unless specifically
stated by a sender who is duly authorised to do so on behalf of the
Institute.

Re: Failing tests - a plea from the heart

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
andy law (RI) wrote:
 > I've just finished beating my head against the modperl tests. I
 > understand that I'm not alone in having been down this route.
No sir, you are not.
Yes, both status. and content_length_header.t are fixed in SVN and will be fixed in the 2.0.3 release.

 > I also understand from trawling through the mailing list archives - a
 > not entirely pain-free procedure itself - that the mod_perl 'grown-ups'
 > are "getting tired" of answering questions about failing tests,
 > particularly those about content_length_header.t and status.t.
HAHA
Where were you when I asked if this would be useful ?  At any rate, its been
on my list for a while now -- just haven't gotten to it yet.

 > Also, I note from my trips through the archives that I am not alone in
 > thinking that the tests should work 'out of the box'. Darryl Miles - I
 > too feel your pain (and frustration).
Well they do with those 2 exceptions which are from things that happened
AFTER the release went public.

 > And all this pain would be prevented by the simple addition of a 'Known
 > issues with the tests' section on the web site. Heck, you even have a
 > section entitled "'make test' Failures" in the documents already. How
 > hard would it be to keep the current known issues up to date in this
 > document (or at least add a reference to a page on which they were
 > recorded)?
Feel free to start it:

To do this correctly, you need
os-release
compiler
httpd version and mpm
perl version and ithreads or not

If I had my druthers, only the CURRENT release would be listed and MAYBE if its been fixed in SVN yet.

"In all that I've done wrong I know I must have done something right to
deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night."
        <___/