Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Wes Williams <ww...@pivotal.io> on 2015/05/26 22:17:59 UTC

Geode Cluster Sizing Online Feature

I think another useful feature to access from the Geode web site is a
system sizing spreadsheet. You plug in object size, # records, key size, #
indexes, whether you have stats enabled, etc., etc. and it gives you the
recommended # cache servers, cpu's.

Where is the request backlog again?

Thanks,

*Wes Williams | Pivotal Sr. **Data Engineer*
781.606.0325
http://pivotal.io/big-data/pivotal-gemfire

Re: Geode Cluster Sizing Online Feature

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:29 AM, Edin Zulich <ez...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> Wes,
>
> If I may put in my 2c on this… First, I (and everybody I know) agree that we should keep working on making Geode as easy to use as possible. And we are trying. And we’ll keep on trying.
>
> Second, I also have to say that it will never be easy. And I think that it’s OK, and even good to call that out in an engagement, the sooner the better… Instead of trying to think how to “improve the presentation of EASY” (which I think is misleading), say that it is not easy. Why? Because there is no easy way to build high performance systems. That’s what it comes down to, and that is one of the first things I say to anyone thinking about anything high performance. Forget Geode; take any other in-memory data technology instead: you’ll have sizing and performance challenges; the higher the performance, the harder the challenges.
>
> Having a tool, such as a sizing spreadsheet, does not have to be misleading, as long as it’s made clear that no tool can provide an exact answer, just some kind of approximation. That is why “Sizing a Geode Cluster” talks about the sizing process the way it does.

This will probably make a great ApacheCon EU talk.  *nudge*  (There
will be a significant Big Data focus in Budapest.)

Then, we'll have slides to post on the ApacheGeode slideshare
account...and maybe videos too!  =)

Cheers.  -- justin

Re: Geode Cluster Sizing Online Feature

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.
+2 (deserves 2 not 1)

Posted by Edin Zulich <ez...@pivotal.io>.
Wes,

Posted by Real Wes <Th...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Edin Zulich <ez...@pivotal.io>.
I just updated it to only mention Geode. Thank you, Tommy!

Posted by Tommy Jeppesen <tj...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Edin Zulich <ez...@pivotal.io>.
Thank you, Mike.

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.
Wes, as you are well aware that this is only indicative sizing in memory.
Given tps requirements this confirmation could change significantly.

I like the spreadsheet for that purpose to estimate memory requirements but
should only ever be used for that.

--Udo