Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org> on 2006/03/09 03:45:37 UTC

Re: Spamd keeps getting hung up!

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

> On 08/03/06 09:17 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:14:38PM -0500, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>
>> [Odd SQL Error]

> Just because the configs are in a SQL database, doesn't mean that they'll
> work even though they are invalid.  ;)
>
> Underscore or not, they're not valid.

That's fine -- but the format they're IN in the DB *IS* valid.  Somewhere
between being in the DB and getting read into spamd something's putting an
underscore where there should be whitespace (hence my logic at pasting
those SQL queries -- note that it also ONLY happens for certain prefs,
too -- another user could have identical prefs and be fine)

It's a separate issue from the lockups -- and I'm not sure why it's
happening -- but it's definitely an issue.  What action is best to take on
this?  Bug report?  It goes without saying here, but if anyone needs a
shell (I think JM has one on the box where spamc runs), let me know and
I'll get you one without question.

>> [pyzor, razor, dcc]

>>> Do you have a firewall blocking those services from working?
>>
>> No firewall at all, and those processes hit (as in, generate scores) most
>> of the time.  I'm under the impression if they were going to be killed by a
>> firewall config, it would be a very all or nothing type thing.
>>
>> It's a realtek NIC, but that shouldn't matter at all since ALL this box
>> does is mysql and spam processes (less than a meg).  Duplex is 100/full
>> (auto) on a known good (but unmanaged) switch.
>
> Well, if the timeouts (and they are just timeouts) are congestion related, it
> would make sense that all three would timeout.

True, of course.  I don't think it's congestion either -- although at some
point we may start running our own (public) DCC server in-house.  Need to
speak to Vernon about that.

>> And there was the mention I saw earlier of still-escaping alarms. However,
>> I haven't had a true lockup since making all these changes. Usually those
>> happen late at night when I say "they musta fixed it, things haven't locked
>> up in a while..." :)
>
> Mine only hangs up when I think to myself, "gee it's been awhile since it
> last hung up" and then proceed to travel at least three hours away form the
> server, often far from connectivity or into exceptionally slow or unreliable
> dial-up land.

It's at the point where I've thought about having a process tail -F the
log for the occurence of BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB, and take action
on it.  There's only been once or twice where it's hung up AGAIN after
restarting -- usually on a ton of messages for one user.  This is usually
the point at which I send a message to the mailing list about "can we
please get a way to dump messages-in-process to a single file, ala the
apache server-status screen" so I can see WHY it's hanging up, and on
which rule.

On the thought that it's congestion, maybe I should start running
smokeping against the various servers utilized by dcc/pyzor/razor --
would anyone else be interested in this data?

>> I'll let you guys know as soon as I do (it does), however.  __alarm__
>> messages without a corresponding freeze CONCERN me, but not NEARLY as much
>> as when the system is "of a down".
>
> "__alarm__" without another warning explaining it immediately afterwards are
> bad.
>
> "__alarm__ignore__" are just timeouts that can be, well, ignored.

I await your reply :)

-Dan

--

"The first annual 5th of July party...have you been invited?"
"It's a Jack Party."

--Cali and Gushi, 6/23/02

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.
On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

>>> [Odd SQL Error]

Nevermind.  You said "invalid", and I misunderstood that you said it
meaning obsolete/deprecated, as opposed to "incorrectly formatted".
*foreheadsmack*

Is there a complete list of deprecated options somewhere (along with the
versions they were valid for, and/or what's replaced them?)  I know for
the most recent version, it's always in the release notes -- but it would
be good if SA could warn on obsolete options.

Alternatively -- is there an easy way to make use of the
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf class when importing options INTO my DB?

Sorry to come at you guys with so many issues at once -- the desire to
clean up the original issue is making me take further scrutiny on my logs
than probably ever before.

-Dan

--

"You're a nomad billygoat!"