Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Alan <ti...@btinternet.com> on 2013/10/12 23:26:18 UTC

Open office

Are there any plans to make soft wear available for I Pad?
Alan T.

Sent from my iPad

Re: Open office

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/16/13 8:19 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> This is pushing much, most more likely I believe, of the commercial work
>> and IMO many FOSS projects towards pure SAAS offerings. This is not only
>> manifest in the applications/tools developed but also in the secondary
>> materials produced. (on-line vs delivered help files, for example)
>>
>> It also seems, to me, natural that this evolution towards ubiquitous
>> connectivity continues is both driving and being shaped by the shift in
>> type of computing devices entering circulation.
>>
>> How all that IMO applies to the AOO project is this, as I was looking over
>> some of the earlier marketing material from the OO.o project with an eye to
>> re-drafting it for the current AOO project it appears to me that some of
>> the value proposition arguments put forward are less strong today.
>>
>> I was then looking to find additional ideas, attributes, which could be
>> used to base new value propositions on and/or as differentiating points.
>>
>> It seemed to me that given the current activities in the development world
>> the fact that AOO is/was designed from the ground up to work fully, with
>> all features, in an environment not requiring connectivity to public
>> communications networks might be such an attribute, at this time.
>>
>> Certainly it is not a core point, but I do believe there is real value in
>> this attribute to groups of prospective users and would be worth at least
>> some attention as materials for the project are generated.
>>
>> Thanks - and that was rather a lengthy reply...see what happens when one
>> does this off-line, sighting there with a mice warm, fresh, cup of coffee.
>>
>> //drew
>>

> :-) And not only was it long (I disagree that "lengthy" is a word and recall fondly the heated discussions over its coinage and incorporation into the lexicon sometime back in the 19th or 18th century—and I'm joking)—but you also didn't bottom post :-)
>
> Here's the scoop. Do you see any developer active on AOO actually working on a mobile editor for ODF?
>
> I don't.
>
> So, therefore, however quickly the rest of humanity piles into the handbasket headed to mobile heaven/hell, it doesn't seem to include the happy campers here.
>
> So, let's make a sentence out of this: Teacup In A Tempest?
>
> As to why we are not seeing non-Apple entities (not sure if MSFT's Office doings count, except for laughs) move to a tablet solution says more about how behemoths regard the market (as enterprise v. consumer) and why Apple basically won, with Google shadowing. Both entities shaped and exploited the consumer market over the enterprise and it is that consumer market that is now, as if it were a little nondetachable tail, wagging the dog.
>
> That students like the iPad—seen it with me own eyes—ought to be suggestive.
>
> At some point, there will be a mobile solution that is actually usable. I'd like to have it edit ODF. But I don't see the drivers here—on AOO—doing that.

I would suggest that everybody who is interested in a mobile version
should start and kick off a sub project. It can be a lightweight editor
for impress only first and can grow over time. Or start working on the
existing code base and work on a clearer separation of core and UI that
will allow over time to replace the UI with a new one that is working on
mobile devices as well.

I see that we have still some challenges in front of us to make the
desktop version better and better usable. And one of these challenges is
of course OOXML if we like it or not. But the reality is that OOXML
seems to overrun ODF and we should take this into account. Don't get me
wrong I am personally still a big fan of ODF but many users don't care
about the detail of the standard. They even don't understand the
differences and the only important point for them is that it is a
standard. And that is true for OOXML as well :-(

Juergen

Re: Open office

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Open office

Posted by akshika akalanka <ak...@gmail.com>.
Can I help with documentation???

Re: Open office

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
Howdy Louis,

Re: Open office

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Open office

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Open office

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Open office

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-10-13, at 12:36 , Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Alan <ti...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there any plans to make soft wear available for I Pad?
>>

> What is "Soft wear", Alan?. Sounds like garmends that are soft to the touch.
> Oh, you must mean "software".
>

>> Alan T.
>>

> See this offering to run OpenOffice on iPad. Be warned that it's a SERVICE
> that you must pay for.
>
> https://www.rollapp.com/openoffice
>
> Regards,
> FC

rollApp charges now? How sad. But I'm working with a developer (at least one) building a native iPad app that would edit ODF files. LIkely as not it will be closed source, not open, unless there is sufficient contribution from an interested community.

Louis

> --
> During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
> act
> Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
> Revolucionario
> - George Orwell

Perhaps a modulo of Dick's: reality is what is left when you stop believing in anything else.

Re: Open office

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> See this offering to run OpenOffice on iPad. Be warned that it's a SERVICE
> that you must pay for.

I forgot to say that it's currently in beta, and that you can sign up (for
now) free of charge.

Re: Open office

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.
Hi Fernando,

while you're laughing about someone else's typos you made one yourself.
It's garment with a t, not garmend...  :P

Max

Re: Open office

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Open office

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-10-12, at 17:26 , Alan <ti...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Are there any plans to make soft wear available for I Pad?
> Alan T.
>
> Sent from my iPad

There is actually work on this but it's being done outside the Apache perimeter. That's not because the developer(s) in question are reluctant to join Apache. It's more because the work that is being done—at least that which I know about—uses a different code base than Apache OpenOffice. The point, that is, is not to cram OpenOffice into the quite differently organized iPad iOS but rather to create a sufficiently good editor for ODF or .odt files. This would supply users preferring the tablet editing tools. And we are talking here about a native client, which means work could be done offline or online and without any latency effect, as one sometimes finds with nonnative clients.

best
Louis

Re: Open office

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Not at the moment.

On 10/12/13, Alan <ti...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans to make soft wear available for I Pad?
> Alan T.
>
> Sent from my iPad

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor