Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by "Andreas Schaefer Sr." <sc...@me.com> on 2016/02/05 01:02:53 UTC

Apache Sling Portlet Container not 2.0 Spec Compliant?

Hi

My client is using a the Portlet Container that comes with AEM 6.0 and encounter an issue where the page containing portlets is returned incomplete to the client.

According to the 2.0 spec (PLT.5.4.7) the portal/portlet-container should continue processing the other portlets visible in the portal page. Looking at the Portlet code (both Apache Sling Portal and Pluto Container 2.0.3) none of the are handling Portlet Exceptions and letting the exception escape into the containing page / JSP.

Isn’t that violating the spec.

In addition later down this spec section it also states that Runtime Exception should be handled as a Portlet Exception which is not done either.

Cheers - Andy Schaefer

Re: Apache Sling Portlet Container not 2.0 Spec Compliant?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Andreas Schaefer Sr. wrote
> Hi
>
> My client is using a the Portlet Container that comes with AEM 6.0 and encounter an issue where the page containing portlets is returned incomplete to the client.
>
> According to the 2.0 spec (PLT.5.4.7) the portal/portlet-container should continue processing the other portlets visible in the portal page. Looking at the Portlet code (both Apache Sling Portal and Pluto Container 2.0.3) none of the are handling Portlet Exceptions and letting the exception escape into the containing page / JSP.
>
> Isn’t that violating the spec.

No, it's not violating as the spec says "should" - however, I totally
agree that any sane implementation should continue rendering, and
actually I'm surprised that  Pluto is not doing this (but I haven't
checked whether this is really the case or not).

As Sling is embedding Pluto I suggest to bring this up on the Pluto list

Regards
Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler