Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/13 21:29:33 UTC

third party licenses examined for 3.2.11 RC2

​Here is my analysis of our third party licenses.

Using this history as a guide:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@rya.incubator.apache.org/msg00969.html
and this :
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RYA-177

in order: the good, the bad, the to-do:

### BSD  good  from:  http://asm.ow2.org/license.html
     (Unknown license) ASM Core (asm:asm:3.1 - http://asm.objectweb.org/asm/
)

### already excluded, see RYA-200 Remove findbugs:jsr305 Dependency
     (GNU Lesser Public License) FindBugs-Annotations
(com.google.code.findbugs:annotations:2.0.2 - http://findbugs.sourceforge
.net/)

### apache project
     (Unknown license) commons-beanutils (commons-beanutils:commons-
beanutils:1.7.0
- no url defined)

### Already exclusion from another library, its OKAY
     (HSQLDB License) HSQLDB (hsqldb:hsqldb:1.8.0.10 - http://hsqldb.org/)

### used by many Apache projects
     (Unknown license) servlet-api (javax.servlet:servlet-api:2.5 - no url
defined)
     (Unknown license) jsp-api (javax.servlet.jsp:jsp-api:2.1 - no url
defined)
     (Common Public License Version 1.0) JUnit (junit:junit:4.8.2 -
http://junit.org)

### BSD license good from http://www.antlr.org/about.html
     (Unknown license) Antlr 3.4 Runtime (org.antlr:antlr-runtime:3.4 -
http://www.antlr.org)

### apache
     (Unknown license) Jettison (org.codehaus.jettison:jettison:1.1 - no
url defined)

### Apache licenced, all spring stuff
     (Unknown license) spring-aop (org.springframework:spring-
aop:3.0.5.RELEASE)
     (Unknown license) spring-asm (org.springframework:spring-
asm:3.0.5.RELEASE)
     (Unknown license) spring-beans (org.springframework:spring-
beans:3.0.5.RELEASE)
     (Unknown license) spring-context (org.springframework:spring-
context:3.0.5.RELEASE)
     (Unknown license) spring-context-support (org.springframework:spring-
context-support:3.0.7.RELEASE
     (Unknown license) spring-core (org.springframework:spring-
core:3.0.5.RELEASE
     (Unknown license) spring-expression (org.springframework:spring-
expression:3.0.5.RELEASE
     (Unknown license) spring-tx (org.springframework:spring-
tx:3.0.5.RELEASE

############## end of good.

### MIT- with evil clause ( "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil."
from http://www.json.org/license.html   )  Consider replaceing with this
drop in replacement:
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.tdunning/json
from: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10396176/org-json-jar-provisioning
  (provided without support or warranty) JSON (JavaScript Object Notation)
(org.json:json:20090211 - http://www.json.org/java/index.html)

### BAD I don't know about JMH libs:

     (GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2, with the Classpath
exception) JMH Core (org.openjdk.jmh:jmh-core:1.13 -
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/code-tools/jmh/jmh-core/)

     (GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2, with the Classpath
exception) JMH Generators: Annotation Processors
(org.openjdk.jmh:jmh-generator-annprocess:1.13
- http://openjdk.java.net/projects/code-tools/jmh/jmh-generator-annprocess/)

############That is as far as I got.  TODO:
     (Unknown license) oro (oro:oro:2.0.8 - no url defined)
     (Unknown license) regexp (regexp:regexp:1.3 - no url defined)
     (Unknown license) org.osgi.compendium (org.osgi:org.osgi.compendium:
4.2.0)
     (Unknown license) org.osgi.core (org.osgi:org.osgi.core:4.2.0 )
     (Jython Software License) Jython (org.python:jython:2.5.3 -
http://www.jython.org/)

Re: third party licenses examined for 3.2.11 RC2

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.
We have a Jira for these:
RYA-373 - Benchmarks: JMH library cannot be distributed, make optional or
replace <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RYA-373>
RYA-372 - Replace org.json:json library with a compatibly licensed
alternative <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RYA-372>

HSQLDB is already excluded in a Rya pom.  I suppose the utility reports it
anyway.

> I vote to make benchmarks optional.
When?  The question:  are either of these blockers to the new 3.2.11
release.

david.

Re: third party licenses examined for 3.2.11 RC2

Posted by Puja Valiyil <pu...@gmail.com>.
I vote to make benchmarks optional.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.