Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tom <tp...@vt.edu> on 2004/04/05 23:53:00 UTC

Allowing users to change passwords through apache

There is no need to give repository users shell accounts on the repository
machine, and giving them shell accounts causes extra administration work, so
I'd like to avoid it if it's not too difficult. I have everything setup to
run through apache2, and it works well. My only problem is that users can't
change their passwords.

I'm sure that there's a simple solution, but I haven't been able to find one
in the subversion archives or on apache's site. If anyone could point me in
the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: Allowing users to change passwords through apache

Posted by Tom <tp...@vt.edu>.
On Monday 05 April 2004 10:27 pm, Tom wrote:
> On Monday 05 April 2004 10:09 pm, Boris wrote:
> > > If anyone knows of such a thing, I'd really like to hear about it. If
> > > all else
> > > fails, I found http://search.cpan.org/dist/Apache-Htpasswd/Htpasswd.pm,
> > > which
> > > seems like it would make a writing a script fairly idiot-proof.
> > > Tom
> >
> > On the perl monks website there is an excellent example of how to use the
> > Apache::Htpasswd module.
> > http://perlmonks.thepen.com/178482.html
> >
> > - Boris
>
> Thanks, that led me to http://stein.cshl.org/~lstein/user_manage/, which
> seems to be exactly what I was after.
>
> Thanks again,
> Tom

Just thought I'd let everyone know (particularly people searching through the
archives) that I setup the software at that link, and it works great. It was
very simple to setup, and does exactly what I wanted (plus, it gives me an
easy way to manage users).

Posted by Tom <tp...@vt.edu>.

Posted by Boris <bo...@kafana.org>.

Posted by Tom <tp...@vt.edu>.
On Monday 05 April 2004 9:22 pm, Branko Čibej wrote:
> Tom wrote:
> >There is no need to give repository users shell accounts on the repository
> >machine, and giving them shell accounts causes extra administration work,
> > so I'd like to avoid it if it's not too difficult. I have everything
> > setup to run through apache2, and it works well. My only problem is that
> > users can't change their passwords.
> >
> >I'm sure that there's a simple solution, but I haven't been able to find
> > one in the subversion archives or on apache's site. If anyone could point
> > me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
>
> A simple CGI script would do it. This is essentially Apache
> functionality, and I don't know if Apache provides anything like that.

Yeah, I figured a CGI script could do it, but this seems like a common enough
problem that someone else must've solved it before. And a solution created by
someone else (and used by many other people) is likely to be more secure and
robust than something I could hack up in an evening.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.