Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/14 07:50:49 UTC

How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which works for branch-1.2, not trunk?

Hi Experts,

I have been working on the JIRA
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4490 and attached
MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which could fix this jira. I would like to contribute
my patch to community, but encountered some issues.

MAPREDUCE-4490 is an issue on Hadoop-1.x versions, and my patch based on
the  latest code of origin/branch-1.2. However, current trunk bases on Yarn
and does not has such issue any more. So my patch could not be applied on
current trunk code, and it's actually no need to generate a similar patch
on trunk at all.

How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch only to origin/branch-1.2, not
trunk? Is it allowed by Apache Hadoop?

Thanks!

Re: How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which works for branch-1.2, not trunk?

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
I have not looked at branch-1 in a while. test-patch.sh appears to be
finicky there. An alternative is to run the full unit test suite locally
and make sure there are no regressions.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:54 AM, sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Arpit,
>
> Thanks for your guide!  As a new contributor, I still have following two
> questions need your help:
>
> 1) So I guess I should run 'test-patch.sh' on my local environment against
> branch-1.2, not on Apache Hadoop test server, right?
> 2) On branch-1.2, I found the 'test-patch.sh' is on
> ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh, not ./dev-support/test-patch.sh. My command
> is 'sh ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh MAPREDUCE-4490.patch', however failed
> with message 'ERROR: usage ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh HUDSON [args] |
> DEVELOPER [args]'. What's the correct way to manually run 'test-patch.sh'?

>> Hi Sam,
>>
>> Hadoop Jenkins does not accept patches for 1.x.
>>
>> You can manually run 'test-patch.sh' to verify there are no regressions
>> introduced by your patch and copy-paste the results into a Jira comment.
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM, sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Experts,
>>>
>>> I have been working on the JIRA
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4490 and attached
>>> MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which could fix this jira. I would like to contribute
>>> my patch to community, but encountered some issues.
>>>
>>> MAPREDUCE-4490 is an issue on Hadoop-1.x versions, and my patch based on
>>> the  latest code of origin/branch-1.2. However, current trunk bases on Yarn
>>> and does not has such issue any more. So my patch could not be applied on
>>> current trunk code, and it's actually no need to generate a similar patch
>>> on trunk at all.
>>>
>>> How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch only to origin/branch-1.2,
>>> not trunk? Is it allowed by Apache Hadoop?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which works for branch-1.2, not trunk?

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
I have not looked at branch-1 in a while. test-patch.sh appears to be
finicky there. An alternative is to run the full unit test suite locally
and make sure there are no regressions.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:54 AM, sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Arpit,
>
> Thanks for your guide!  As a new contributor, I still have following two
> questions need your help:
>
> 1) So I guess I should run 'test-patch.sh' on my local environment against
> branch-1.2, not on Apache Hadoop test server, right?
> 2) On branch-1.2, I found the 'test-patch.sh' is on
> ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh, not ./dev-support/test-patch.sh. My command
> is 'sh ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh MAPREDUCE-4490.patch', however failed
> with message 'ERROR: usage ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh HUDSON [args] |
> DEVELOPER [args]'. What's the correct way to manually run 'test-patch.sh'?

>> Hi Sam,
>>
>> Hadoop Jenkins does not accept patches for 1.x.
>>
>> You can manually run 'test-patch.sh' to verify there are no regressions
>> introduced by your patch and copy-paste the results into a Jira comment.
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM, sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Experts,
>>>
>>> I have been working on the JIRA
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4490 and attached
>>> MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which could fix this jira. I would like to contribute
>>> my patch to community, but encountered some issues.
>>>
>>> MAPREDUCE-4490 is an issue on Hadoop-1.x versions, and my patch based on
>>> the  latest code of origin/branch-1.2. However, current trunk bases on Yarn
>>> and does not has such issue any more. So my patch could not be applied on
>>> current trunk code, and it's actually no need to generate a similar patch
>>> on trunk at all.
>>>
>>> How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch only to origin/branch-1.2,
>>> not trunk? Is it allowed by Apache Hadoop?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which works for branch-1.2, not trunk?

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
I have not looked at branch-1 in a while. test-patch.sh appears to be
finicky there. An alternative is to run the full unit test suite locally
and make sure there are no regressions.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:54 AM, sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Arpit,
>
> Thanks for your guide!  As a new contributor, I still have following two
> questions need your help:
>
> 1) So I guess I should run 'test-patch.sh' on my local environment against
> branch-1.2, not on Apache Hadoop test server, right?
> 2) On branch-1.2, I found the 'test-patch.sh' is on
> ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh, not ./dev-support/test-patch.sh. My command
> is 'sh ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh MAPREDUCE-4490.patch', however failed
> with message 'ERROR: usage ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh HUDSON [args] |
> DEVELOPER [args]'. What's the correct way to manually run 'test-patch.sh'?

>> Hi Sam,
>>
>> Hadoop Jenkins does not accept patches for 1.x.
>>
>> You can manually run 'test-patch.sh' to verify there are no regressions
>> introduced by your patch and copy-paste the results into a Jira comment.
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM, sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Experts,
>>>
>>> I have been working on the JIRA
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4490 and attached
>>> MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which could fix this jira. I would like to contribute
>>> my patch to community, but encountered some issues.
>>>
>>> MAPREDUCE-4490 is an issue on Hadoop-1.x versions, and my patch based on
>>> the  latest code of origin/branch-1.2. However, current trunk bases on Yarn
>>> and does not has such issue any more. So my patch could not be applied on
>>> current trunk code, and it's actually no need to generate a similar patch
>>> on trunk at all.
>>>
>>> How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch only to origin/branch-1.2,
>>> not trunk? Is it allowed by Apache Hadoop?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which works for branch-1.2, not trunk?

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
I have not looked at branch-1 in a while. test-patch.sh appears to be
finicky there. An alternative is to run the full unit test suite locally
and make sure there are no regressions.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:54 AM, sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Arpit,
>
> Thanks for your guide!  As a new contributor, I still have following two
> questions need your help:
>
> 1) So I guess I should run 'test-patch.sh' on my local environment against
> branch-1.2, not on Apache Hadoop test server, right?
> 2) On branch-1.2, I found the 'test-patch.sh' is on
> ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh, not ./dev-support/test-patch.sh. My command
> is 'sh ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh MAPREDUCE-4490.patch', however failed
> with message 'ERROR: usage ./src/test/bin/test-patch.sh HUDSON [args] |
> DEVELOPER [args]'. What's the correct way to manually run 'test-patch.sh'?

>> Hi Sam,
>>
>> Hadoop Jenkins does not accept patches for 1.x.
>>
>> You can manually run 'test-patch.sh' to verify there are no regressions
>> introduced by your patch and copy-paste the results into a Jira comment.
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM, sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Experts,
>>>
>>> I have been working on the JIRA
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4490 and attached
>>> MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which could fix this jira. I would like to contribute
>>> my patch to community, but encountered some issues.
>>>
>>> MAPREDUCE-4490 is an issue on Hadoop-1.x versions, and my patch based on
>>> the  latest code of origin/branch-1.2. However, current trunk bases on Yarn
>>> and does not has such issue any more. So my patch could not be applied on
>>> current trunk code, and it's actually no need to generate a similar patch
>>> on trunk at all.
>>>
>>> How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch only to origin/branch-1.2,
>>> not trunk? Is it allowed by Apache Hadoop?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which works for branch-1.2, not trunk?

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arpit,

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arpit,

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arpit,

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arpit,

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Sam,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which works for branch-1.2, not trunk?

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Sam,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which works for branch-1.2, not trunk?

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Sam,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: How to submit the patch MAPREDUCE-4490.patch which works for branch-1.2, not trunk?

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Sam,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE