Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/01/16 07:15:32 UTC

Automated Jar Downloading for Stratum

Hi,

In an attempt to try and keep JARs out of CVS and to make building easier I
went ahead and modified the Ant <get> task to deal with a text file that
lists a set of dependencices. It will allow you to start with nothing, or
update JARs that have changed in the master repository.

I have tested this, and I just added proxy support for Dan (who happened to
be in IRC when I finished) so people using proxies should be able to get the
JARs as well. I wanted to keep the retrieval method HTTP so people behind
firewalls could get access too.

This is raw but it appears to be working. I am using the Gump/Alexandria
descriptors as the basis of the information, processing the descriptors with
Maven and I had to add some things by hand. Hopefully this will get the ball
rolling and we can make things even easier and cleaner.

Things are setup now so that people who are building will not be affected
and the gump build won't be affected. There is simply an 'update-jars'
target that needs to be invoked manually. We can make this more automatic in
the coming days but I wanted to try it out in stratum and clean it up before
moving on to the other turbine projects and then propose it on a wider scale
for other projects.

I hope this starts to alleviate some of the hassles in building the turbine
projects. Thanks for your patience and in the next couple of days we'll get
this process working for all the turbine projects so we can start moving
forward again.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Automated Jar Downloading for Stratum

Posted by Jason Kary <jk...@cisco.com>.
Thank you!  Finding the latest greatest jars has always been a pain in
my butt!

Take Care
Jason Kary