Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/02/24 22:40:43 UTC

cvs2svn moved to its own project

kfogel@tigris.org writes:
> Log:
> Remove all of tools/cvs2svn/ except the README, which now points to
> the new repository and cvs2svn.tigris.org project.

Okay, cvs2svn is in its own repository now -- including all the
history from the old repository.  You don't even want to contemplate
the dumpfile magic that was required.  Let's just say I had to bring
out the big guns: Mike Pilato :-).

There's still a bit of cleanup to do on the new project (add developer
roles to the appropriate people, move the issues over, test the commit
mailer, add or reference some of the all-caps files from the original
Subversion project, etc).  Will do that ASAP, give me a day.

-Karl

Re: cvs2svn moved to its own project

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@collab.net>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>

>>kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>>
>>>Okay, cvs2svn is in its own repository now -- including all the
>>>history from the old repository.  You don't even want to contemplate
>>>the dumpfile magic that was required.  Let's just say I had to bring
>>>out the big guns: Mike Pilato :-).
>>
>>C-Mike, if that was a task requiring a significant amount of thought
>>and craft, you did write a script to do it, and have kept that
>>script, haven't you?
>

> Um.  No.  It turns out that Karl doesn't have an extension language,
> so I couldn't find an adequate way to script him.

:-)

Last I checked, he had loaded a compat layer for elisp.

Re: cvs2svn moved to its own project

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Lübbe Onken <l....@rac.de> writes:

> > What it does *not* document are
> > certain outright bugs in svndumpfilter that we weren't aware of until
> > today, and which I'm working to fix right now.
>
> Like getting copyfrom revision numbers off by one for example? I used
> --drop-empty-revisions and --renumber-revisions and ended up with
> results like:

*Exactly* like that.  {grumble, mumble}  But like I said, I'm working
on it.

> Second problem:
> We initially had a layout like:
> repos/trunk/ProjectA
> repos/trunk/ProjectB
> repos/trunk/ProjectC
> repos/tags/ProjectA_1.0
> which proved to be not-so-good :-)
>
> So in the early days of our repository I created the structure:
> repos/ProjectA/trunk
> repos/ProjectA/tags
> repos/ProjectA/branches
>
> for each project and moved the content of trunk/ProjectA to ProjectA/trunk
>
> After filtering out all the revisions that contained trunk/ProjectA
> and ProjectA/trunk, I ended with a complete revision history for
> ProjectA, but svnadmin was not able to import the dump file. Errors
> like non-existing paths were thrown at me. I had to manually edit the
> node-path for each revision before the restructuring took place. Maybe
> I used the wrong hammer, but these were my two major headaches.

Manual path tweaking is a common and currently unavoidable aspect of
this recipe.  I've been thinking more about how to solve that, too.

Re: cvs2svn moved to its own project

Posted by Lübbe Onken <l....@rac.de>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:

> The knowledge could be useful, yes.  The Subversion book documents the
> major issues that caused us grief.
:-)

I went through that process last week, since I decided to separate our
one big repsitory into lots of tiny repositories.

> What it does *not* document are
> certain outright bugs in svndumpfilter that we weren't aware of until
> today, and which I'm working to fix right now.

Like getting copyfrom revision numbers off by one for example? I used
--drop-empty-revisions and --renumber-revisions and ended up with
results like:
So in the early days of our repository I created the structure:
repos/ProjectA/trunk
repos/ProjectA/tags
repos/ProjectA/branches

for each project and moved the content of trunk/ProjectA to ProjectA/trunk

After filtering out all the revisions that contained trunk/ProjectA and
ProjectA/trunk, I ended with a complete revision history for ProjectA,
but svnadmin was not able to import the dump file. Errors like
non-existing paths were thrown at me. I had to manually edit the
node-path for each revision before the restructuring took place. Maybe I
used the wrong hammer, but these were my two major headaches.

Cheers
-Lübbe

Re: cvs2svn moved to its own project

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:

> kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Okay, cvs2svn is in its own repository now -- including all the
> > history from the old repository.  You don't even want to contemplate
> > the dumpfile magic that was required.  Let's just say I had to bring
> > out the big guns: Mike Pilato :-).
>
> C-Mike, if that was a task requiring a significant amount of thought
> and craft, you did write a script to do it, and have kept that
> script, haven't you?

Um.  No.  It turns out that Karl doesn't have an extension language,
so I couldn't find an adequate way to script him.

> Even if lots of the stuff in it is specific to the particular
> circumstances, I bet lots of people are going to be asking for help
> with doing a very similar thing to their own repositories.  Perhaps
> you could annotate the script with reasons for the various steps,
> and check it in to "examples/" or post it here.  (You needn't spend
> time on generalising it; someone else can do that later.)

The knowledge could be useful, yes.  The Subversion book documents the
major issues that caused us grief.  What it does *not* document are

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Okay, cvs2svn is in its own repository now -- including all the
> history from the old repository.  You don't even want to contemplate
> the dumpfile magic that was required.  Let's just say I had to bring
> out the big guns: Mike Pilato :-).

C-Mike, if that was a task requiring a significant amount of thought and craft, you did write a script to do it, and have kept that script, haven't you?  Even if lots of the stuff in it is specific to the particular circumstances, I bet lots of people are going to be asking for help with doing a very similar thing to their own repositories.  Perhaps you could annotate the script with reasons for the various steps, and check it in to "examples/" or post it here.  (You needn't spend time on generalising it; someone else can do that later.)

Just a thought, not something that I need - yet.

- Julian

Re: cvs2svn moved to its own project

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@collab.net> writes:
> The SourceCast roles could be taken care of by making it a child
> project of Subversion.  Wasn't sure that you sounded interested in
> following that route, though.

I decided not to (though thanks for the information), because the
mapping wasn't quite what we needed anyway.  It turned out to be
pretty easy to do it as an independent project.  Except for the issue
tracker and website, of course, which Fitz and I are fixing right now.

Re: cvs2svn moved to its own project

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@collab.net>.