Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Ronald Green <gr...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/15 10:45:31 UTC

Cassandra-Pig integration

Hi,

I'm trying to read (and write) data with Pig 0.12.1 on an HDP 1.3 cluster
(single node dev environment for now) from a Cassandra 2.0.12 cluster (on
other machines). I built Cassandra 2.0.12 on my HDP 1.3 cluster and managed
to use cqlsh on the cluster to connect to the Cassandra cluster, create
tables, populate them and read data from them.

I defined the proper environment variables (PIG_INITIAL_ADDRESS,
PIG_RPC_PORT, PIG_PARTITIONER) and I tried to use Pig with both CqlStorage
and CqlNativeStorage (starting Pig with pig-cassandra which puts all the
necessary files in the classpath), but it seems to just freeze when I try
to execute a script that reads data from Cassandra saying:

1 map-reduce job(s) waiting for submission.
0% complete

There's no visible job in the job tracker. How can I figure out what goes
wrong there?